car is running bad, super jumpy after engine detail

aparker813

Aug 30, 2005
me and a friend were detailing the engine on my 99 gt and he started just blasting the whole engine with the water (higher pressure wand from car wash) after that was when it started acting really wierd. at idle my tach jumps from ~500 to about ~700 at random and very spastically, at WOT it gets super shaky and surges really bad. i had a problem with surging before but really only around 10002000 and only at certain speeds it seemed. any ideas for me?

• Sponsors (?)

i had to ghetto rig a broken center cap back on and trusted him to keep spraying the degreaser stuff and he just went way overboard...i let it sit for probably 2 hours and then tried to drive to get a haircut and it started again on the way there but was running great for the first mile or so

by the way this is so far the only mustang board i've been on that was even remotely helpful for any problem at all..thanks guys, nice to actually find a forum where people are helpful instead of just being hostile towards newcomers, i'm more of a car audio guru which doesnt seem to have a big following here but i'll certainly help where i can, but yea thanks again

I'm still a novice compared to the majority here, but everyone has to start somewhere. You should take a look at the questions I posted when I first stumbled across Stangnet. LOL

Took about a year off, and came back just a couple days ago. The reason? The guys up here will have you flashing the 'ol credit card quicker than you know it! "Oh, you should get this--and this--and you HAVE to have this!" LOL Then you'll be looking at everyone's rides, think it's cool, and again the 'ol credit card comes out. :) (My wife put a stop to that once she saw a new package come every two days for a month.)

At any rate, this is the best place to come for advice for Stangs--bar none. The community is very helpful and does not belong to a "veteran" clique. If you have a ponycar, you're all good. :nice: I came from a car audio background myself and knew nodda regarding how cars run, what to do to improve performance, etc. Still waiting to install my PG M44 & M50, EQQ, etc. Someday...

- Mega

Mega-Man said:
At any rate, this is the best place to come for advice for Stangs--bar none. The community is very helpful and does not belong to a "veteran" clique. If you have a ponycar, you're all good. :nice: I came from a car audio background myself and knew nodda regarding how cars run, what to do to improve performance, etc. Still waiting to install my PG M44 & M50, EQQ, etc. Someday...

- Mega
You comments are very much appreciated. We do our best :nice: MPH has a very good forum also.

git-it-83 said:
Hell, I think the owner's manual has suggestions for what areas need covered during underhood cleaning.
Yes, it definitely does: battery, alternator, underhood fuse box

The Bullitt archive has info on this subject as well

And another thing, if you lube up your COP rubber boots well with silicone spray the next time you have them off they will seal better and come off easier :nice:

Kilgore Trout said:
Yes, it definitely does: battery, alternator, underhood fuse box

The Bullitt archive has info on this subject as well

And another thing, if you lube up your COP rubber boots well with silicone spray the next time you have them off they will seal better and come off easier :nice:

What brand/type of spray to get? :)

Likely got water down in the COPs - I'd pull each cop off, blow the COP and the port as dry as possible with compressed air, then re-assemble with silicone spray as Kilgore advised. And keep the water hose out from underneath the hood!