Car Starts To Crank " When Its Off!"

Taino

Nov 29, 1999
Ok so I start the car and it started but with a weird grinding noise, Car idled fine, put the car in gear and all went well till I got home. So I get in my garage and turn the car off, Then it seems like the starter is still cranking really bad (Mind you, the car is off) started smoking and cranking noise continues, I immediately disconnect the battery and Cranking noise stopped. I saw some white smoke coming from bottom rear, passenger side. Think it may be a short on the starter or somewhere in that area . Strang ????? Car was running fine, checked oil, water, nothing looks broken dont know whats up. Its Midnight was with my little girl. I just wanted to make it home. Anyone have this happen to them? Its by far the strangest thing every happen to me and have never heard anything like it ??????? Help!

• Sponsors (?)

Happened to me the other day. I haven't had a chance to investigate but my primary culprit would be the contacts in the starter relay are stuck closed.

Will replace solenoid, thanks for the heads up. Did some research and it seems to be a common problem. Concerned it fried my starter, had white smoke coming out of it. Wouldn't the solenoid be sparking or show any sign or damage?

Ok replaced Solenoid, Reconnected battery and started not trying to start on it own. I go to crank the car and no go? Starter goes BRRRRRR??? Think starter is Fried?

This just gets weirder and weirder.... So I replaced the Starter and the solenoid. Today I go to work and notice the Vibration on my gear shifter has improved???? Enough so I noticed it ?????? still there but not as bad ???? I'm just confused on how this could happen ?