carb gurus....need advice

dragnazz5.0

My "0" key d0esn't w0rk, s0 I have t0 use the zer0
Nov 19, 2005
mooresville, nc
alright, the combo is a 306, slightly ported stock heads, tfs 1 cam, 1.7 rockers, air gap intake and edelbrock 600 carb. the carb has the 8 in/hg step up springs, .101 main jets, 7047 metering rods and the idle mixture screws are about 2 turns out. now my problem....its got a tip in stumble/hesistation. ive tried backing the idle screws out more but it doesnt help. ive changed jets and rods just in case they would help also but nothing. i dont know where to go from here. the car has 16 in/hg for vacuum and idles fine and drives great except for this problem. i guess really the only thing left is a vacuum leak or rebuild the carb or get a new one. someone give me some opinions or advice...thanks fellas

• Sponsors (?)

Is the problem on your initial tip-in or are you talking about during secondary actuation? You probably mean initial tip-in based on what I've gathered. That being the case, what size shooter is your primary? Have you changed it from stock? If not, you may need slightly more. For example, if your stock shooter was a 31 and you have made mods to your car, you may need a 35 or more. There's also the Edelbrock Tech line if you are so inclined. I'm running a Demon carb now, but the Edelbrock guys were pretty helpful when I was running an Edelbrock.

yeah its a initial tip in problem. everything on the carb is factory so i dont know what the primary squirters are.

edit:i just realized i left something out that i had found today. the motor was fully warmed up when i was working on it today but i noticed when i got the air horn off there were bubbles coming out of the primary jets....not huge bubbles but just small little bubbles coming out for maybe 10 seconds after i got the cover off.....is that normal or does that mean there is something leaking somewhere?

i have the same 306 but with afr heads, tfs1 go with a bigger carb 670 sa should help a little. Its the intake its made for higher rpms thats where youre hesitation might be. Go with a weiand or upgrade to bigger carb and fuel pump. just my opinion

well i've always run a holley 650 dp at the biggest 750, on most 302 setups they like about a 1 inch - 2 inch spacer between the carb and intake to get the tip in stumble to go away, that always fixed my problem with the tip in stumble. but also going up with the squirter a couple sizes will help ! just my experience.......