Carb Help!!

my72mach1

Feb 17, 2007
I just attempted my first rebuild on a carb, thought it went well until I went to start the car and fuel began spraying from the inlet. The needle is in place, but not stopping the flow. Any ideas on what needs to be done would be appreciated. It's a 2100 2 barrel carb on a 351 C.

• Sponsors (?)

DID you put the seat in with the needle and the little spring like wire.
If so adjust the float level by bending the tab the needle rest on. There should be specs for this in your instructions, also check the float, shake it to see if it has fuel in the float, if it does then you need a new one

I believe so. The seat screws in to the carb and then the needle simply sits inside it correct? If so, I will try adjusting the float tab down. Should the spring like wire actually hang from the tab or just be placed under it? Thanks.

One other thing, is it a problem that the fule pressure is enough that with the needle apparently not seated correctly it is going about 5-6 inches into the air when the engine is cranked without the gas pedal being used? Or is that proper pressure, just not having the fuel inlet needle depressed enough?

The spring like wire should hold the needle in place and not push or pull on it. as for fuel pressure on a stock carb it should not be more than 5 psi and if using a stock mechanical pump then you dont have to worry about that.
If the fuel comes out the air bleeds on the top of carb as soon as you crank it then the float is not closing off the fuel. look for a float not adjusted right , float parts hitting or rubbing the walls of the well, maybe a gasket not installed correct.
I have a 2100 in the garage, I will look at it and be back