Carb woes

67coupestang

Founding Member
May 31, 2002
The other day i thought i'd get the stang out and tool around, but the whole time driving it it smelled like it was leaking gas... All i could smell was raw gas. The top of the 4 barrels was wet, so i was thinking something like my float was stuck and the bowl was overflowing? The car was running like pure poop too at idle. I pulled up next to a camaro and thought what the heck, flew through 3rd gear, then decided to back her off. Next thing i heard was a loud, LOUD pop from the carb backfiring. the carb is a 750 cfm carter... is this a rebuild or is something else wrong with the car??

• Sponsors (?)

Check all your gaskets, check for vacuum leaks, check for a dirty needle and seat. If the needle and seat has the slightest bit of dirt on it, it may cause it to have a slow flood, which would mean you could have slight leak instead of a fast leak if the needle and seat wasn't closing at all. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me, and I'll take them to the Carter expert at my work and see what he says.

-Chris
Professional Carb Rebuilder.