Carburetor

cobraii74x

Aug 27, 2003
Altoona, PA
Alright guys. . .I have a holley 670cfm street avenger. whenver i hit the gas it will seem like it wants to just shut off ( and sometimes it does ) unless you push it down real fast. i adjusted the idle and those little nobbies on the sides that i guess control gas flow and such... any clue ?

• Sponsors (?)

cobraii74x said:
Alright guys. . .I have a holley 670cfm street avenger. whenver i hit the gas it will seem like it wants to just shut off ( and sometimes it does ) unless you push it down real fast. i adjusted the idle and those little nobbies on the sides that i guess control gas flow and such... any clue ?
Sounds like the old holley hesitation ---too lean

Does it bog down like somebody turned off the key the instant you hit the gas and then switched it back on again so it almost dies then takes off

accelerator pump, squirter nozzel

or does it stumble then takes off ---to rich

Check your spark plugs tells you fuel condition black sooty too rich

as for the knobbies turn then for the smoothest idle

and I agree with Blue Thunder about the book go to the library get a chilton or motor manual and read the section on tune ups and carbs :spot:

Does it bog down like somebody turned off the key the instant you hit the gas and then switched it back on again so it almost dies then takes off

Thats what it does.. but yet I am new to the automotive field and know little.. okay by knobbies i meant the screws on the side of the carburetor, i have adjusted them to hell and back and it still does the same thing.. at idle the hesitation/shut off isn't bad but when in gear it is horrible.. ( tried to cross boulevard.. could have been deadly ). maybe i will stop by the library and see if i can find something