Carpet Trunk Liner Install

martimus

Jan 2, 2005
'neath a cactus
A while back I got to looking at some carpet trunk lid liners. I liked the idea but wasn't thrilled at some of the designs I saw or the pricing. I e-mailed one of the sellers and asked if they'd consider designing a one-off liner for me and inquired about the price. The seller, Joe at InsideCarToys, took it upon himself to program the design into his equipment and produce one just so I could see what it would look like.

When I received the pic I was floored. The design was just what I wanted and the fact that he was willing to go to the effort even considering I hadn't committed to purchasing anything impressed me. Before I got the change to order from his web site, I lucked out and found an auction of his on Fleabay that nobody had bid on. I entered a bid and won.

Here's my boy Flash, the Stars and Stripes Pony!!! :D

normal_Stars%20and%20Stripes%20forever.JPG

Installation process:

1. When I removed the liner from the box everything was protected and wrapped. Instructions were included in a pouch along with more than enough black snap caps to secure the liner:

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20003.jpg

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20004.jpg

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20005.jpg

2. The first step for 05 Mustangs required that the wiring harness for the trunk release and light be moved. In its existing position it would interfere with the ability of the liner to lay flat.

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20001.jpg

3. I used a flat head screwdriver to release the clips holding the wiring harness to the trunk. When all clips were released I drilled three 1/4-inch holes in the underside of the trunk in line with the existing holes to allow the wiring harness to be relocated out of the way of the liner:

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20006.jpg

4. I snapped the clips into the new holes and insured that the harness laid flat against the underside of the trunk lid:

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20009.jpg

5. I used masking tape to temporarily hold the trunk liner against the trunk. This gave me an opportunity to align the liner, insure that it was level, and make sure it fitted the way I wanted it to.

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20010.jpg

6. Once in the position I wanted, I used a felt tip marker to make a mark on the underside of the trunk lid in the location where four holes are located in the liner. Once marked I removed the liner and used a hammer and center punch to make a small indentation where the hole needed to be drilled.

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20014.jpg

7. I drilled the holes. To be sure I got the holes just right I first used a 1/8-inch titanium bit to drill a pilot hole and then expanded the hole using a 1/4-inch bit. The instructions are specific to say to be sure to not drill with pressure through the first layer of the liner as you risk drilling into the outer layer of the liner.

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20017.jpg

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20018.jpg

8. I fit the liner to the trunk, aligned the outside holes, and then inserted the snap clips pressing firmly till they seated. I then inserted the remaining snap clips and seated them.

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20020.jpg

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20027.jpg

And here's a close-up of the finished needle work. Overall this was a relatively simple install but I like how it turned out!!

normal_Trunk%20lid%20cover%20028.jpg

• Sponsors (?)