Catback

z400master03

May 20, 2005
How much better is a catback system than just welding mufflers in sound wise? beacuse the h/p numbers arent my worry like 1 hp. And whats a good muffler/catback system that isnt very expensive.

Thanks mike

• Sponsors (?)

I welded in my Mac Flowpaths into my stock cat-back and it sounds the same as the regular mac catback. I'd say save some money, and weld in some muffs. Clean up the stock tips with some 00 Steel Wool, and Never Dull, and you'll have it looking, and sounding good. but make sure you swap mid pipes (off road H) when you put muffs in because thats what makes the sound difference.

I bolted Borlas muffs into my stock cat back and used some reducers. Eventually I swapped the flowtubes and got some 2.5 inch tailpipes. I swapped in the 2.5 inch flowtubes lastly and noticed my 60mph drone was almost gone. Weird, but those little 2 foot pipes made a sound difference.

If you get an Off-road pipe which eliminates cats you won't be able to pass emissions, but you can buy catted mid pipes if you want to. What I do is every 2 years I get it inspected I just throw my stock midpipe back on. Just as long as you don't buy long tube headers or anything you can do it like that.

Catted midpipes are too expensive for me. And I dont want to have to put my stock pipe back on every year. SO i think im going to have to go with a catback system just maby later a catted midpipe. Is there a big difference between the american thunder catback and stock midpipe as apposed to stock?

You wont see much of a difference, just a little different tone, but it wont be anymore louder. If I were you...i would just but some 2 chamber flows (or some flowpaths :D) and weld them in, and get a cheap off road H. You wont regret it, and it not a big deal to swap midpipes. BTW when i did my off road H all my bolts were rusted to hell, so i bought all new ones, so if i ever have to swap, it'll be a whole lot easier. And all new studs/bolts costed like $2 bucks.

BTW 2 Mac Flowpath's off of ebay were $110 shipped, and i picked up a ORH for $90 shipped. The muffler shop charged me like $20 bucks to weld in the mufflers and i changed the midpipe myself.

So i've got like $220 in my exhaust, and with my polished stock tips it looks good, and sounds great.