Causes of OIL in ant-freeze?

monte87

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2001
new york
guys-

whar are some of the causes of small OIL traces in ant-freeze? Its an a 91 AOD stang with new FMS graphite H/G's....
No anti-freeze in oil though or on dipstcik, car burns oil as well, 100,000 original bottom end.

Thanks Anthony:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

That is weird. I usually hear of transmission fluid in the antifreeze, because the coolant tank in the radiator goes bad. I have heard of the problem you have had, but my mind is a blank right now....

Thanks for the reply, i guess-It can be tranny fluid, it is definitely some type of oil though. That would really sad if it were th rad leaking tranny fluid, because that damn rad is a fluidyne and its the 2nd replacement already.... Warranty is expeired-So i guess-if it is i'll be disconnecting the cooler and running it to my external tranny cooler.
Whatta ya think????
Thanks Anthiny

That would suck because those RAD's are 400+ dollars new!!:bang: Well, you could try to bypass it for a day and drive it. Of course you would be wasting money buying and changing out the fluids for new stuff if that is not the problem. A blown head gasket causes antifreeze in the oil, usually not oil in the anti-freeze.

You know what it just hit me, you might have something as simple as a bad intake gasket. It just now came to me I couldn't think of it earlier when I was at work. I would replace the lower intake gasket. Is the color of your antifreeze turning like brown and chunky like chocolate??

Hey SVT~

the anti freeze is still green, Its just that whenever i pop the cap off, i look and see small traces of an oily substance, usually floating on top and in and around, no milkshake as of yet... But you can definitely see something other than A/Freeze in there-But not alot. Its on the cap underneath. but like i stated earlier-No antifreeze in the oil-Clean.
The lower manifold gaskets were changed with the H/G's, FE pro's 1250's and Ford Racing Graphite H/G. I mean-Maybe they shifted, moved-Who knows, But thanks for the help-Bro.

Hit me back-Ant

putnam88 said:
happend to minei had a bad mani to head gasket

hey putnam-
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean it happened to you???? Were you leaking oil into the anti-freeze? Did you see oil floating around in the rad??? What other symptoms did you have???
Funny thing that day while doing the H/G's, the strut tower brace wasnt disconnected and the distributor still attached as well-So we had to play around to get the manifold on, I was thinking maybe-It didnt seat correctly or somehting like that, because the car isnt a nitrous car, nor boosted @ all, straight N/A and a mild set up to blow the heavy duty graphite H/G's-ya know!
Please hit me back w/your thoughts!
Many Thanks-Anthony:nice: :flag:

What color is the oily substance in the radiator. Usually tranny fluid is red. Iit is dark like engine oil most likely head gasket problem. The oil passing through the oil passages is making its way into the water passages through head gasket.

Monte87- I've got little black particles floating around in my radiator to, and there is an oily substance on the underside of my radiator cap too. I didn't think that it might be oil, because It isn't a lot at all. I just put AFR 165's on with new FELPRO head gaskets. I double checked all the torque'ing specs and I'm hoping everything is tight, but maybe I'll check again. Let us know if you find anything out. Oh yeah, mines a 5-speed, so I know it's not tranny fluid. Thanks... and good luck...

daddystang said:
Monte87- I've got little black particles floating around in my radiator to, and there is an oily substance on the underside of my radiator cap too. I didn't think that it might be oil, because It isn't a lot at all. I just put AFR 165's on with new FELPRO head gaskets. I double checked all the torque'ing specs and I'm hoping everything is tight, but maybe I'll check again. Let us know if you find anything out. Oh yeah, mines a 5-speed, so I know it's not tranny fluid. Thanks... and good luck...

Hey dude-

Thanks for replying.... I just put AFR165's on as well, first time around i used Fel pro's 1011-2's and then a few months later replaced them with Ford Racing Graphites. I dont think its the H/G's gaskets, but who knows.
As for the oily looking particles floating around-There isnt alot of it in the rad, But enough to notice it. My car is an AOD-so i do have the built in tranny fluid cooler...
And just for goof's-I placed a bit of trans fluid in anti-freeze and Oil as well in a glass container, the same percentages 70/30 A-Freeze and water-and both oily substances looked exactly the same, not red nor black-They appeared to be both brown in color. So im lost @ this point.

What does anybody else think!:flag: :nice:
Many Thanks-Anthony

KB91Notch347 said:
I had the same thing but maybe a little worse than you're describing. I just put a new cam and changed all the gaskets including head and lower intake. Now no more oil in the antifreeze. My vote is lower intake gasket too.

How can the lower intake allow or admit oil to get intot he anti-freeze?:shrug:

Thanks Anthony