changing heads add any hp??

JT$$$

Feb 4, 2003
i have a good deal on a pair of 66 hi-po heads ported and polished 58cc and was wondering if i would see any gain from my 67 w/ stock heads, also im going to get a new cam any suggustions?

67 289
edlbrock intake and 600 carb
hooker header and true duels

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on what cc head you have now, whether the port and polish job was done right, and the valve size. The smaller chamber heads will increase horsepower from higher compression, but if they overported that will negate it. You will get more flow with the port and polish, but only if the valves were sized right. Could be a big improvement if everything is done right. Give more details.

the HIPO heads are 45CCs and have machined Valve spring perches in the heads... the standard 289 heads are 54 CCs, later 302 heads were 58-62 CCs... SOooo.... going from the 67 289 heads ( 54 CCs ) to the 58 CC heads will loose compression. The add'l flow from the port work will help mid to top end but the compression loss will hurt the low end a bit!! Cam... keep it small... well small to me :), there are tons out there for the 289/302s. Hyd, 220* and 510 lift will rock, idle nice and lumpy and still pull hard thru the gears... ( need 3.70s or better and a 2200 stall min) buying a cam is really a hard choice... you WILL need other things to make the cam work!! Call a few cam companys and get their recomed... cool?? ( cam co. not summit or jegs.....)

Have fun..
Just me.............................

Thumper