Chattering sound-clutch related?

Gino 12689

Sep 2, 2009
Hey guys,

About a week ago, my 94 GT started making an odd sound and is continuing to do so. At the moment the clutch engages to get the car moving, a rattling or knocking sound can be heard from underneath the car. It sounds like crushing a soda can, but only for a brief second.

At first, I thought it was clutch related, but then it started to make the noise occasionally while I'm decelerating(with the clutch engaged I may add), and on some occasions when I'm turning.

Drive-ability is not affected, nor can the noise be "felt" throughout the car.

Also, once the car reaches high RPM, every now and then a rattling noise can be heard from underneath the car, likes nails in a coffee can.

I've researched all sorts of things trying to pinpoint the issue-loose exhaust shield, driveshaft issues, clutch issues(flywheel, pressure plate) throwout bearing, etc., and I just cannot put my finger on it.

I haven't lifted the car yet to check, and no one who has ridden in the car and heard the noise seems to know what it may be. It honestly is an odd noise, and not one I've heard on any other manual car.

What do you guys think it may be? The clutch is the original unit, and the car currently has 92,800 miles on it.

• Sponsors (?)