Check Engine Light HELP!!!

ironexecutioner

Mar 31, 2005
I have a 1997 Cobra with Full length LT headers by hooker, I also have the o/r x pipe from hooker as well. I have o2 sims on my rear o2 sensors and my front o2 sensors are just inserted and hooked up. I am throwing a check engine light though... PLEASE HELP i wish to be rid of this! thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If you are throwing codes with MIL eliminators installed (I assume that's what you mean by "sims") than I would guess you have a lean/rich condition, probably lean. With warmer weather coming that's pretty common. Go to Autozone and have them pull the exact code for free then you can take the guessing game out of the mix and get some real answers.

ironexecutioner said:
I have a 1997 Cobra with Full length LT headers by hooker, I also have the o/r x pipe from hooker as well. I have o2 sims on my rear o2 sensors and my front o2 sensors are just inserted and hooked up. I am throwing a check engine light though... PLEASE HELP i wish to be rid of this! thanks

I went to autozone today and they said they weren't sure. They said that it was reading that something was going on with bank one and 2. He actually told me to post online at some forums to see what ppl suggest i do lol. I have had the check engine light for a little while I just didnt drive it through the winter and so I didnt bother with it. Help me please!

It's simple, plug in the OBD2 scanner and pull the code so it sounds like the guy didnt know quite what he was doing. This code will be a number which is what you need. Try taking it somewhere else. Bank 1 and 2 refers to the sides of the engine but the code can apply to many things. It would be pure guess work without the code.

ironexecutioner said:
I went to autozone today and they said they weren't sure. They said that it was reading that something was going on with bank one and 2. He actually told me to post online at some forums to see what ppl suggest i do lol. I have had the check engine light for a little while I just didnt drive it through the winter and so I didnt bother with it. Help me please!

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
Indicates Bank 1 catalyst system efficiency is below the acceptable threshold

Possible Causes

Use of leaded fuel
Damaged HO2S
Malfunctioning ECT
High fuel pressure
Damaged exhaust manifold
Damaged catalytic converter
Oil contamination
Cylinder misfiring
Downstream HO2S wires improperly connected
Damaged exhaust system pipe
Damaged muffler/tailpipe assembly
Retarded spark timing

Diagnostic Aides

Compare HO2S upstream & downstream switch rate. Under normal closed loop fuel conditions, high efficiency catalysts have oxygen storage which makes the switching frequency of the downstream HO2S quite slow compared to the upstream HO2S. As catalyst efficiency deteriorates, its ability to store oxygen declines and the downstream HO2S signal begins to switch more rapidly approaching the switching rate of the upstream HO2S. Once beyond an acceptable limit the DTC is set.

My Opinion
1. Your O2 sensors need to be replaced
or
2. The MIL Eliminators you have installed are bad or installed incorrectly