'Check Engine' light

The light came on after turning over to about 200 miles. Took it to the Ford dealer who thought perhaps I'd left the gas cap loose, but we checked and that's not the case. He said to come back if it didn't go off after 45 miles; it didn't. Got an appointment with the service dept tomorrow morning, but wanted to see if anyone else here has had their light come on. Anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing like that yet. I say yet because I am waiting on three things to happen:

The Shaker stereo quits playing CDs altogether.
A gear drops.
Check engine light comes on.

I have seen posts on all three issues. (crossing my fingers).

Good luck with the problem though. Hopefully it is just the sensor and nothing else.

thunderstorm144 said:
Nothing like that yet. I say yet because I am waiting on three things to happen:

The Shaker stereo quits playing CDs altogether.
A gear drops.
Check engine light comes on.

I have seen posts on all three issues. (crossing my fingers).

Good luck with the problem though. Hopefully it is just the sensor and nothing else.

Yeah, I'm extremely nervous about the first two. The Shaker 1000 was an expensive option (one I chose reluctantly because of the $$, now may regret if problems arise) and a tranny issue would keep the car in the shop for weeks :(

You know, I have read a lot of posts in stang forums and a lot of people have said they were gonna wait on the 06 or 07 car because of possible problems, like you mentioned. It actually never crossed my mind not to get an '05 ASAP. These days, car manufacturers are so much better at getting it as close to perfect from the get go. Not like it was in the 70's and 80's. (Especially the 80's when nearly every car was a potential POS from the get go.) Ford picked up quality and I have owned a Ford ever since because they were one of the first American mfr's to model the Japanese mfr's quality control programs. All that being said, I can deal with some issues on the car. Sure, putting it in the shop so soon is tough to swallow but I trust Ford to fix it right the first time. So a new stereo may be in the works, but I am hoping that will be all. The guy that dropped 2nd gear may just have an oddball. (Me hopes!!) My gears all feel fine and tight, which I hope is a good sign. I am at 1300 miles and the stereo is the only thing wrong so far. (If you don't count the gazillion tanks of gas I have had to put in this thirsty equine.) :nice: But we will see. I just hate to think that people out there are giving the impression this thing is bug ridden from the start, which it really isn't. Just that friggin' 1300 dollar stereo. I shoulda opted for the cheap one and bought something from Circuit City! Oh well. Spend and learn, as I always say!

I think we will be fine. The '05 Stang still rocks and the whiplash it is causing other motorists is priceless. You know you have the coolest car on the road when a guy in a Viper pulls up beside you and gives you a thumbs up!!! (Happened to me today!!!) :banana:

You guys are making me nervous...

The Shaker stereo does seem to load discs slower than most in-dash 6-disc changers. My girlfriend has an 04 Nissan Xterra Supercharged with the Rockford Fosgate in-dash 6-disc changer. It loads a lot faster IMO. Seems like a solid stereo. I'm a bit bummed that the Shaker doesn't display the song titles on the radio.

2005TorchRedGT said:
The light came on after turning over to about 200 miles. Took it to the Ford dealer who thought perhaps I'd left the gas cap loose, but we checked and that's not the case. He said to come back if it didn't go off after 45 miles; it didn't. Got an appointment with the service dept tomorrow morning, but wanted to see if anyone else here has had their light come on. Anyone?

Do you have the IUP? Can you do a system check without it?

Well, just got back from the dealer. The results of the code check turned out to be something a bit more complicated than an O2 sensor.

What they found was that the ECU detected a misfire (during deceleration) of coil packs 'B' & 'D'. The tech consulted with Ford engineering and concluded that the codes were bogus, simply the result of overly-sensitive parameters of the program. He says that Ford is aware of the issue and will soon have a new flash program available to fix this problem.

Redfire: No, I don't have the IUP option.

My friend who had all the problems with the shaker 500 got stranded this weekend in TX. Dealer said it was the O2 sensor but I think it is more. His car died and would not even start. He was taking it to the dealer there today....I'll keep you posted on what they find

TAP4636 said:
You guys are making me nervous...

The Shaker stereo does seem to load discs slower than most in-dash 6-disc changers. My girlfriend has an 04 Nissan Xterra Supercharged with the Rockford Fosgate in-dash 6-disc changer. It loads a lot faster IMO. Seems like a solid stereo. I'm a bit bummed that the Shaker doesn't display the song titles on the radio.
Shaker does display song names, if you turn the RDS on bro,,,, check your manual to see how to activate RDS....

RisingForce said:
Shaker does display song names, if you turn the RDS on bro,,,, check your manual to see how to activate RDS....

Oh really??? Wow, cool. Thanks for the head's up. Still new to this car. I looked for something on that today and didn't see it. I'll look again.