Roush Check this out

• Sponsors (?)

That may be about the earliest Saleen Vert floating around in the market, as the "Saleen Ranch" own (just about?) all the other '86 Saleen Verts.

If you want a "4-eye" Saleen Vert, this might just be your only hope, as I doubt Stu will be selling any of his cars any time soon.

(only a few I think made, and too lazy to go pull the book to check)

I have seen the car, and know that the last couple times it changed hands it did so "off the open market".

The one picture looks like it was taken at the Stars, Stripes & Stangs event that was hosted by my old house.

Starting bid: $35,000 :rlaugh:

Even if it is a legit Saleen, let's count the many things against it:

1) 100K miles
2) Front fascia missing
3) Incorrect rear fascia ('87-'88 style)
4) Missing rear spats
5) Missing rear spoiler (I don't recall if this was a std Saleen convertible item in '86)
6) Incorrect wheels (ARE instead of Hayashi)
7) Incorrect side stripes ('87-'88 style)
8) Missing headlight covers
9) Missing strut tower brace (I don't recall if this was a std Saleen item in '86)
10) Missing Saleen ID plates (the photos are unclear, so I may be wrong on this item)

To say this guy's price is a bit optimistic is the understatement of understatements. :Word:

Well, I was talking to somebody who knew quite a bit about the car, and thought I would share.

So, you think you want a "4-Eye" Saleen Vert, here are your options:

2 made in '85.
Owners have been offered 6-figures to part with them, and they have yet to sell. At this time is will take more than just "Stupid money" to get one of them.

12 made in '86.
1 was totaled and destroyed.
1 is owned by a lady in NorCal and she won't even let you get close enough to the car to even know there is a car.
1 is "MIA"

That leaves 9 cars that come to market...

Then subtract the ones the "Saleen Ranch" own...

We are looking at a market selection of perhaps a handful of cars total.

So, you like the color Red and want yours to be that factory color... This is one of the two that were Red. I think the Saleen Ranch owns the other.

Now that we have that worked out, let's talk about the car, a '86 Saleen Vert built off a GT chassis.

Damage to front/missing front spoiler: Done by first owner (car is currently with 4th owner) Car did come with Saleen front air dam.

Funky colored front fender: Factory paint job FUBARed by Ford, and never repainted.

Rear Wing: At this point Saleen had not figured out how to do a rear wing on a Vert. They did not use Hatchback wings on verts, they were different. The car is how it came from Saleen.

Rear Bumper: '85 Saleens had the spats, this is the correct '86 cover.

The current (4th) owner has owned the car for about a year.

They purchased the car in its current condition for $28k.

Happy bidding :)

(If you really want to drop $35k on Fox body Saleens, you can get the '85 Hatch AND '88 Vert from PA for under $29k, and then use the remaining $6k for a few gallons of gas in the Vert as you enjoy the same sunshine while keeping the '85 in its perfect condition)

Yes, it is a rare car. It is only the second '86 Saleen vert for sale I've come across. But, $35k for a car with 100k on the odo and in need of a partial restoration? Factor in a quality paint job, replacement of decals, installing a correct airdam and then the usual replacement of wear and tear items that a 19 year old car with 100k miles may need and you are nearing $40k in your investment. I just think that I could better spend that money elsewhere.
For $17k I could purchase a '91 Saleen Notchback. It is 1 of 4 coupes built that year and it is not in need of restoration. I am not flaming the seller or the car. This is just my $.02. I wish him luck in selling it.

I went back & checked the Saleen Book to confirm some of Saleen Mike's replies to my questions regarding this car.

Rare or not, trying to turn a quick $7K or more profit on a Saleen with 100K miles & missing key components is either greed, naivete or a combination of both.

And spending six figures on an early Saleen is pure insanity IMHO no matter how "rare" it might be. :crazy:

After all, it's still just a Mustang & no Mustang is worth a six figure price unless it is something truly rare like an ex-factory race car such as a Trans Am Boss 302 or a Tasca Ford drag car or something similar.

I love Saleens... but not that much. :nonono:

6 Figure Mustangs

SVT Saleen said:
I went back & checked the Saleen Book to confirm some of Saleen Mike's replies to my questions regarding this car.

Rare or not, trying to turn a quick $7K or more profit on a Saleen with 100K miles & missing key components is either greed, naivete or a combination of both.

And spending six figures on an early Saleen is pure insanity IMHO no matter how "rare" it might be. :crazy:

After all, it's still just a Mustang & no Mustang is worth a six figure price unless it is something truly rare like an ex-factory race car such as a Trans Am Boss 302 or a Tasca Ford drag car or something similar.

I love Saleens... but not that much. :nonono:

Well, if I could differ for a moment. There are an abundance of Mustangs that now fetch over 100K. Virtually every 68 Cobra Jet convt's are way over 6 figures. Any decent Boss 429 car is over 100K. Boss 9 junk sells for 90-100K. Street Boss 302 cars are nearing 100K and gold standard Boss 302 cars hit 100K over a year ago. I know of a genuine sale at 130K for a superb 1969 Boss 302. 1969 and 1970 GT500 Shelby's have now exceeded 100K. 1965 Shelby GT350's have been over 100K for at least 3 years, 1966 Gt350 cars for 2+ years have been near or over 100K, not to mention 1967 Shelby GT500's...just watch the darn BJ auction ( but don't believe everything you see). And I have yet to mention any race cars.

Just another opinion. Is it worth what they are asking. Well, to quote a good friend of mine, a car is worth what you can sell it for today! I'll step down now!

Dan

footnfan said:
Well, if I could differ for a moment. There are an abundance of Mustangs that now fetch over 100K. Virtually every 68 Cobra Jet convt's are way over 6 figures. Any decent Boss 429 car is over 100K. Boss 9 junk sells for 90-100K. Street Boss 302 cars are nearing 100K and gold standard Boss 302 cars hit 100K over a year ago. I know of a genuine sale at 130K for a superb 1969 Boss 302. 1969 and 1970 GT500 Shelby's have now exceeded 100K. 1965 Shelby GT350's have been over 100K for at least 3 years, 1966 Gt350 cars for 2+ years have been near or over 100K, not to mention 1967 Shelby GT500's...just watch the darn BJ auction ( but don't believe everything you see). And I have yet to mention any race cars.

Just another opinion. Is it worth what they are asking. Well, to quote a good friend of mine, a car is worth what you can sell it for today! I'll step down now!

Dan

As that old proverb begins: A fool & his money...

Personally, I don't consider auction prices to be true resale prices. Many of the vehicles sold at auction end up being flipped again at the next auction & so on & so on. Therefore the alleged "value" of the vehicle is artificially inflated & therefore does not reflect an actual private sales price.

I also personally would never pay a six figure price for any production, street Mustang no matter its pedigree or rarity. Such a vehicle could never be driven any distance without detracting from its alleged value, so what is the point of owning one? Trailering it from show to show just to collect trophies & accolades seems to me to be a pretty boring existence for both vehicle & owner. For the same amount of coin you can buy an exotic sports car like a Ferrari or Porsche & enjoy it without worrying about reducing its "value" by rolling up the odometer or getting a rock chip or two in the paint. If someone really needed to spend $100K plus on a Mustang, a factory race car would be ideal because it is something that was not a production vehicle, there were only a handful created, it potentially was driven by famous racers who even may have won races or championships with it & it can be vintage raced without detracting from its value.

But that's just me.

Well......

I would agree with you if you could buy a genuine ex racer for 100K. It is impossible to make such a purchase.

I am not quoting auctions. I think BJ is just that, a giant televised BJ. I am talking about actual sales. I have several friends that have small Mustang collections. The cars they buy never really come up for sale. Just ask Marcus about his SSC. A similar situation.

In addition, I am not discussing trailer queens. Well, a couple might be, but in general, they are top notch cars, but not diva's.

I learned a long time ago. Nice cars sell....and they are less price sensitive. Mustangs are hot at the moment.......... mostly older cars.

I respect your opinion. I felt the same way until I saw my dream car ( I have a bunch of them in my dreams) pass me by for the third time. I decided to stop complaining and make a purchase. Not without due diligence, but ....I got of the darn dime!

Am I an expert? Probably not. I do own three classic mustangs, 2 sn95 Saleens, and two nice fox body collectable cars. So, I am in touch with the recent trends, or at least I think I am. I can tell you that in Feb. at SAAC does Vegas, I saw many a classic Trans Am owner fling their car around the road course at Vegas. Cars you cannot replace, drinving at break neck speed in the A group. I chose the B&C groups for folks that have ....more brains than money!!! LOL

Oh, I went to the Sports Car market magazine price info. If ou want a Boss 302 race car, bring 225-250K. I would not pay it but people line up to buy them.

If nothing else, it makes for great conversation.

Dan

Old fart that still runs with the young dogs!

guys, just a quick update. 11 86 saleen's conv where built. 1 was total loss, one is mia, 1 was stolen when new and not recovered. Only 2 had rear wings one white and one black, both sold at burch ford in CA, both are now in Indiana. 3 others are now in Indiana. That leaves 3 cars, all are red. Laugh at the price if you want to but with only 3 cars possible to purchase you do the math.

guys, here is the real story on 86 saleen convert's 11 where built, one was stolen when new #86-163, one was wrecked in 88 and a total loss #86-189, one is mia #86-38. two white cars and 3 black cars are in Indiana at the saleen ranch, saleen ranch north and saleen ranch west. That leaves 3 86' converts out there, (by the way all are red) so with the one on ebay there are only two others to find. As for the lack of a rear wing, only 2 86 converts had rear wings, both sold a burch ford in CA and both are in Indiana now. As for mustangs not bringing six figures, thats what i said about the shelby mustangs I had in the late 70's and early 80's.
If I would have kept them I could retire.

Rarity doesn't mean value. In the collector car market generally horsepower sells. That is why a GT-500 sells for a good bit more than a GT-350. I have owned several Big-block cars, one Boss, and several early Hi-Po cars. What you see at BJ is a over inflated show. The record prices are for the most part just a show. Alot of the cars are sold prior to the sale then, ran through just for show. Now, back to the 86 in question. Yes, it is rare but, so is a 427 Galaxie station wagon. For all my fellow muscle car buffs yes, they did make one. I had a chance to buy it about 15 years ago! Someone said a car is what someone is willing to pay for it. This is true but, you have to remember what is in demand at the time also plays an important role. Right now, rare late models don't bring what they should. Look at how the S-351 market has dropped. You can get a bargain right now. Everyone looking for one knows this too! Paying 28K for the car he will either have to hold onto it or take a bath on it. Its not a pristine example. In all reality to a collector it is a project car. Project cars aren't bringing any money right now. Unless you have a Boss or a Shelby project you aren't going to get much for it. Right now in all reality the car if sent to auction would be lucky to hit the low teens and that is being generous. If it were mint, less than 5K miles, and a trailer queen it might hit the mid 20's. Rarity doesn't mean it will be in demand. If a paxton had been optional and it had that it might increase its value but, not near what the owner thinks it is worth.

Saleen Mike said:
The one picture looks like it was taken at the Stars, Stripes & Stangs event that was hosted by my old house.

LOL, I have to take a look on my computer at home. I'd almost bet that I took that exact picture he is using...

SVT Saleen said:
9) Missing strut tower brace (I don't recall if this was a std Saleen item in '86)

According to Mark at PAS, it was not a standard item. I had this discussion with him when I originally bought 86-122.