clean up camshaft

ninety1gt

Aug 27, 2005
san antonio
i recently bought an e303 camshaft with what the guy said 200 miles. it has little rust and was wondering if this will affect the engine, how can i clean it up? i was thinking with some 3000gr sand paper and mothers polish. any help? will post pics if needed

• Sponsors (?)

if you want to take the time, set up an electrolyte cell in a bucket that has a fair amount of baking soda in the water. Apply a battery charger - one side to the cam in the middle of the bucket, and one side to metal or foil draped insdie the side of the bucket. Let it sit for a few hours or a day (or more depending on the amount of rust) and it will be clean.

If money is no object, replace it.

Before you install it, use a micrometer to make sure the lobes aren't worn. I bought an Edelbrock cam from a friend. He got it out of a 302 boat motor that had only been run a few hours. When I measured the lobes I realized that a couple of them were shot. They guy that had the boad before must not have broken in the cam correctly and fried a few lobes. I ended up buying a new one.

Assuming the lobes are in spec and not super pitted from the rust - super fine steel wool and WD40 sounds pretty good. I would not polish it, you just need to remove the surface rust.