Cluster removal HELP

monte87

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2001
new york
Guys,

HELP!!!! I have a 91 Stang-i want to remove the cluster. i know how to remove everything, but those dayuuuuuuuum pesky headlight & flasher/conv top switches from the clamshell!!! How the heck-Do you remove the switch assembly???? to get to the cluster.........

Thanks in advance-Anthony :mad:

• Sponsors (?)

It wont move that much!

After i removed all the proper screws and all, It only moves so much-I cannot really get my hands in there to disconnect it.
Is there anything i can do-To separate it from the front and not behind????

Pleaseeeeeeeeeee-Let me know-Anthony

P.S. the haynes manual-Dont tell you carp about removing the switch assembly to then remove the clamshell!!!! i hate that maunal!!!! :mad:

Did you get the tabs pushed in, and the switches unhooked? After that if you are saying the entire assembly will not pull forward, that is because you have to unhook the speedometer cable at the speedo head. You need a little slack to do it. Unhook the bracket that holds the cable to the frame, under the hood down by the frame at the steering knuckle. This will give you a little slack to pull the cluster with the speedo shaft still attached forward. Now reach in behind the speedo, and squeeze the little white clip that holds the speedo cable head to the speedo. Pull the cable off, unhook the plug for the instuments, and that's it. Good luck.

Oldman

if u cant get the switches out then u have to do what was said above....look behind where u push the switch on (for example the headlights) NOT behind the cluster or dash cover, right behind the button. top and bottom tabs, get a fla head screwdriver, pull forward a little and then press the top tab then do the bottom tab. now that u have that side out...go to the other side...wedge the screwdriver in there and push back towards the tabs, while still pulling out a little.. the switch will pop out then pull it out a little and disconnect the harnesses. good luck....basically just go to town with a screwdriver and u will figure it out.

I have always just used a flat screwdriver inserted in between the switches and the surround. You have to pry one side up, and hold it out so it does not slip back in place and then do the other side. But be careful, the covers with the symbols on them try to pop off. But if they do, you can snap them back on. Once you get the switches loose, you can pull them out to unhook the wiring harness connectors.

Takes just a few seconds once you've done it 10 or more times like me. :D

Good luck!

Thanks soooooooooooooooooooooo much-guys!!!

Thanks soooooooooooooooooooooo much-guys!!!

Thats what i was talking about. the dayum switches. i didnt know how to take them out and get them disconnected. I will try tonight-When i get home after work. I have been dying to do the white face gauges-But cant get it out!! hahahahah

Thank you so much-All
Anthony :flag: