clutch chatter

Have a 66 mustang GT 350. I have put a Hayes clutch a new flywheel and replaced Ujoints and driveshaft and have replaced the clutch rod. I still have a bad clutch chatter when I take off from a dead stop. If the car is rolling a little and I take off in 1rst it doesnt chatter.Please help its driving me crazy

• Sponsors (?)

Clutch adjustment is not going to fix it. Look at your motor mounts, trans mount and check for any free play in your equalizer bar. Should have almost none.

Could also have oil contaminating the disc, so hopefully your rear main is in good shape and when you put the flywheel on, the bolts should have had some sealant on them.

Since it's new, you might need to put some miles on it to brake it in, much like seating new brake pads. Assuming the clutch was installed properly, I would try to get some miles on it and see if it improves.
Posted via Mobile Device

All mounts checked out fine trans mount is new. EQ bar was fine also. I know clutch is installed properly. Talked to customer about it and he said that its done since he got it. Even before he put all the money into it. I was told try to go back to the 3 finger pressure plate instead of the diaphram style. Ever heard of that one. I dont know this thing is kicking my arse. LOL

I went through the same thing as you. Everything checked out so I finally gave up and took it to a shop and said 'fix it'. Shop changed all components from their parts bins (known good working parts) and it still chattered. But while changing the clutch, they discovered excessive crankshaft end play. It was in the neighborhood of .018" and it should be like .004 -.008. Pulled the motor and the thrust bearing was toast, along with others. I eventually changed out the motor but all other components remained the same and the chatter was gone.

Most of the time it has to do with the Z-bar and linkage. It is the slop in the system that causes chatter. I modified my z bar by reaming it out to a larger I.D. Then made a custom support bar that the Z bar rotates on. The support bar srews into the block where your little stud that currently has the plastic round bushing on it is. I then elimenated the bushing on the frame rail. Works perfect and has no chatter