Clutch pedal freeplay question

It might just be me, but it seems that there's quite a bit of 'freeplay' in my clutch pedal. If I just tap the pedal with the sole of my shoe (not pushing, but tapping) it seems kinda springy. I can't really describe what I'm talking about, but it seems I got too much play/slop in there, somewhere :nonono:

Any way to determine too much/too little slack?

• Sponsors (?)

gsixl said:
About an inch is ok. Free travel is good, keeps throw out bearing off of pressure plate diaphram. If it is stock you can adjust by lifting pedal with toe.

Ok, I guess I just never noticed it before. I've done the toe-lift, and the pedal returns to the spot it was prior to lifting. Makes me wonder since I have a noisy throw-out bearing....

The clutch is self adjusting and will take up slack as wear occurs. The toe lift is just an added measure that will take it too the next tooth if slack is available. I have pulled the cover on my bellhousing and it still looks as if the bearing is riding close to diaphram. I don't really see a spring that will pull it away form the pressure plate. I am skeptical that maybe this is why so many bearing failures. The bearing should not be against the pressure plate and should not turn when pedal is out. Just my opinion from observation. I also have a noisy bearing and I am planning a clutch install. Will take a closer look at that time.

gsixl said:
The clutch is self adjusting and will take up slack as wear occurs. The toe lift is just an added measure that will take it too the next tooth if slack is available. I have pulled the cover on my bellhousing and it still looks as if the bearing is riding close to diaphram. I don't really see a spring that will pull it away form the pressure plate. I am skeptical that maybe this is why so many bearing failures. The bearing should not be against the pressure plate and should not turn when pedal is out. Just my opinion from observation. I also have a noisy bearing and I am planning a clutch install. Will take a closer look at that time.

Keep us posted :nice: