Clutch Trouble???

Iggy50

Jul 14, 2005
Hi all, another newbie here.

Been having trouble ****ing into 5th gear. Seems like the clutch isn't fully disengaging and causing it to grind.....sometimes.
Stang is an '02, 3.8L, with 33k on the clock.
First thing I thought of was the trans might be low on fluid. Haven't checked it yet, been raining every afternoon when I get home. Then I found, at times, it was hard to engage reverse.
Tried the pulling up the pedal trick, no clicks and situation wasn't better. I haven't crawled under the dash with a mirror to look at the adjuster for damage yet.

Any ideas??
Bad cable??
Bad adjuster assembly??

HELP!

• Sponsors (?)

Trouble shifting into reverse is pretty common. It's just the syncros not lining up. Either move it into another gear and then try reverse again, or you can usually put it in nuetral and let out the clutch and then try again. As far as shifting into 5th goes, I haven't heard that one before. I'll look it up this evening in my Haynes manual if someone else doesn't help you out first. BTW, a Hayne's manual is an invaluable investment, so pick one up next time you go by an autoparts store.

I have one. The manual suggests depressing the clutch to within 1/4" of the floor then shifing from 1st to reverse. If there's difficulty then somethings wrong in the clutch system.

Last night I tried, while sitting still, depressing the clutch, counting to three, then putting it in reverse. No grinding. Did this several times with no trouble. I suppose the clutch is releasing peroperly since there's no noise.
Tried depressing the clutch, again while sitting still, then quickly shifting into 5th. Instant grind. Tried it with counting to three before engaging 5th, no noise.

I'm beginning to think it's a bad 5th gear synchro. And the warranty is expired.

if you have an owners manual it tells you how to adjust

you put your foot under the clutch and pull up
then you push it down till it clicks
i dont think you have to look at it to check it
i am told mine is adjusted out completley and i need
a new clutch cable do you know anything about those
hope my info helps thanks

Looking at a service manual, swapping a clutch cable isn't very hard. About the hardest part is getting under the dash and playing with the self adjuster to remove/install the cable.

I did try pulling up on the pedal, no difference. No click either. I suppose the clutch cable isn't stretched, or worn, enough to need adjutment.
I've watched the ex drive and she practically rams it into fifth gear. I'm beginning to think she's screwd the trans up.