clutch went out, ouch *pics included*

Slapyo

Admin Dude
Feb 8, 2003
Anaheim, CA
my brother was getting on the freeway not accelerating hard at all, and put clutch pedal down to shift to 3rd. he felt a pop and the pedal went to the floor, then a bang, and then it rattled a bunch. heh, well today when we pulled the clutch out this is what we found. nobody was open today to get a new clutch so we gotta wait a few days to find a good one. any suggestions!? it's our 01 saleen that it happened in too.

clutch1.jpg

clutch2.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Happy with my Centerforce Dual Friction. It grabs real hard. I didn't even know I could chirp third until I got installed. Most people will tell you to go with the Spec Stage II. I think they are equally as good.

we are gonna hopefully upgrade to a aluminum flywheel and a twindisc clutch. dunno what brand yet, maybe tilton, maybe tayes, and maybe mcleod. and any other suggestions that come across this post. we have a few days being the holidays and everything is shut down.

GTblack_00 said:
I have a couple more words to say, The way that clutch looks tells me an unintended downshift happened and the clutch was spinin way faster than the motor when engaged or just freak occurance.

pimpstar00 said:
How the hell did you blow your clutch like that? Theres no way it blew like that from a gentle shift and not beating on it. I would have guessed that was from dropping the clutch at 6000 rpms while racing.

no, was just normal shifting on the freeway when it happened. we have taken it to the track and ran it hard before. but we haven't been to the track in a while with it, this was back in the summer before school started. we rasied the rev limiter to 7200 too when we had the diablo sport chip installed. there was no downshift, he put the clutch in to goto 3rd and that's when it happened, he didn't even have time to move the shifter.

Slapyo said:
no, was just normal shifting on the freeway when it happened. we have taken it to the track and ran it hard before. but we haven't been to the track in a while with it, this was back in the summer before school started. we rasied the rev limiter to 7200 too when we had the diablo sport chip installed. there was no downshift, he put the clutch in to goto 3rd and that's when it happened, he didn't even have time to move the shifter.

Freak occurance then, factory clutches dont take much esp of 7k r's. One of the discs was prob cracked and came off the rivits when he depressed the pedal which started a chain reaction of which you have the result.

i can vouch of rthis happening. both king cobra clutches ive had done the exact same thing. but truthfully yours looks alot better than both of mine did. but they both went the same way, on the highway, one when pressing it to go to 5th, and one when going to 4th. but neither times was i abusing it.

i wonder if my spec will do it. :D

It sounds like your clutch cable, or fluid line (dunno what they have) also broke or burst, dropping the clutch, and busting it or it could have been a slave cylinder. You said the pedal went to the floor after feeling a pop, and then the clutch dropped onto the flywheel while accelerating, and went bang. You'll have to fix your pedal/disengaging mechanism too.

Centerforce is a good clutch. :nice:

I had 2 Ford King Cobra clutchs. First one lasted for 6 months and the second one 4 months. The one that lasted 6months and blew, i thought it was just my luck. I guess i got a lemon clutch. :nonono: So i got another K.C. clutch and it went out faster. I was like what the crap. :scratch: So moral of this story is don't buy a Kind Cobra clutchs. O yea I drive my car like i stole it and I power shift all the time racing. :rolleyes:

GoBabyVroommm said:
Centerforce is a good clutch. :nice:

I had 2 Ford King Cobra clutchs. First one lasted for 6 months and the second one 4 months. The one that lasted 6months and blew, i thought it was just my luck. I guess i got a lemon clutch. :nonono: So i got another K.C. clutch and it went out faster. I was like what the crap. :scratch: So moral of this story is don't buy a Kind Cobra clutchs. O yea I drive my car like i stole it and I power shift all the time racing. :rolleyes:
You drive like me & I'm still running my stock clutch & flywheel. I know it'll probably go any day now. But I don't want to replace it before it does since 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' I have driven my car like I've stolen it since April 2000 on the original factory clutch. The only thing that's ever gone wrong is about 4 mos after I bought it the clutch cable came off the back of the clutch & off the pedal. It broke in 2 places. Ford put in a new one & it's been fine since but is stiff & loud. Thanks for the warnings about the King Cobra. I was just getting ready to purchase one & have it installed next yr.

downsouthman1 said:
You drive like me & I'm still running my stock clutch & flywheel. I know it'll probably go any day now. But I don't want to replace it before it does since 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' I have driven my car like I've stolen it since April 2000 on the original factory clutch. The only thing that's ever gone wrong is about 4 mos after I bought it the clutch cable came off the back of the clutch & off the pedal. It broke in 2 places. Ford put in a new one & it's been fine since but is stiff & loud. Thanks for the warnings about the King Cobra. I was just getting ready to purchase one & have it installed next yr.

:nice: :cheers:

7200rpm limit?! Thats way to high if you ask me, are you actually running your motor out that far? Most 32v owners dont even rev that far.. Just a thought about why your clutch could have done that, not really designed for that.

WashingtonStang said:
7200rpm limit?! Thats way to high if you ask me, are you actually running your motor out that far? Most 32v owners dont even rev that far.. Just a thought about why your clutch could have done that, not really designed for that.
ya, that's what we figured as well.