Clutch.

• Sponsors (?)

v8only said:
No actually, I'm serious. It's an honest question.

I'm just thinking of the way the system works. Once you let out on the clutch, everything should be fully engaged. I imagine that the pressure plate doesn't have a break in, and shouldn't allow the disc to slip at all, so theoretically speaking, full throttle or heavy throttle shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on the clutch after full engagement.

The only thing that I can consider is that if you are easy getting out of first during the break in, then full throttle it, let off the gas, your engine will still be spinning too fast for second gear, which can hurt the disc during break in. Am I on the right track here?? Just looking for a scientific, or logical explanation behind this so that I do the right thing in the future

I asked this because my bro is on his break in period with his centerforce dual friction

K. It isn't like breaking in a transmission with shot peened gears that once engaged are locked and can't slip out. Like I said, it's the clutch material on the disc trying to adhere to the material on the flywheel. Until the fresh flywheel has been properly "dressed", the disc is trying to stick to something that isn't there yet. This is particularly a problem at higher rpm where there is more power, and in higher gears where the drive ratio is higher. The reason for the issue you described with the SPEC : "They grab like an on/off switch, but after they break in, it won't grab quite the same" is because the disc was clamping to a bear flywheel, so it grabbed too well before it had a chance to build up the right amount of material, and there was nothing to protect the disc from the flywheel friction which literally sanded it down. It caused the disc to dress the flywheel unevenly, so now that there isn't any bear flywheel to grab to anymore, it won't grab well anymore because the surface has been compromised. If you go WOT with it during the break in period, it will slip but you may not feel it; this is what causes the problems later... uneven application of force. Just like when an old clutch starts to go south, it starts slipping in fifth gear, then fourth, etc. First at higher rpm, then lower, and lower- because there is no longer enough material on the disc to adhere to the material on the flywheel. You just forced it into the dying out period before it had a chance to live.