clutch?

Iam looking at replacing my clutch very soon. I have been eyeballing the centerforce dual friction. I was looking into spec but i have read here on stangnet that thier quality has taken a nose dive. I have even heard of them blowing up. So what clutches are you guys running and how do you like them? does anyone here know how the pedal effort is on the dual friction? thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

People on here swear by Centerforce and Mccleod. But the people I know in person say just the opposite. They swear by Spec.

Depending on your power levels and the surface on the clutches pedal pressure is different. The Centerforce DF will slip alittle more than most heavy duty clutches especially Spec Stage 3 and higher.

Also depending on your tranny the FRPP King Cobra is great for street vehicles and is the clutch I use on my relatively stock '99 GT. It is great quality for the price.

Whatever you get there are 3 types you should not want.

The Spec Stage 2, its made of Kevlar and sucks (these are the ones that blow up), anything made by Ram and anything on eBay.

I dont think the FRPP king cobra clutch will fit my 03 and ive heard it has a much higher pedal effort then the stock clutch despite what FRPP says. and i dont like ebay for seriuse parts because of nock-offs. and RAM just sucks

I dont think the FRPP king cobra clutch will fit my 03 and ive heard it has a much higher pedal effort then the stock clutch despite what FRPP says. and i dont like ebay for seriuse parts because of nock-offs. and RAM just sucks

I've got a ram powergrip and i like it just fine, it grabs good and has pretty low pedal effort. What in particular have you heard or experienced with them that places them in the category of suckiness? Just curious

eww!! hope that doesn't happen to mine! so far so good though, it looked like it would be alot stronger than my stock clutch, although my stock clutch looked great when the powergrip was put in @ 75K miles!

So i have a quick question.... when do you know its time for you to switch your clutch? I have about 40,000 miles on the gt and i noticed that i can not chirp the tires when i shift to second gear! Before i could nooo problem, even when it was stock. Now i have a couple of things done and cant do it anymore..... is it time? And also, would a stage 3 spec clutch and aluminum flywheel be good? I found one with 5,000 miles on it for 300 bucks.... is that a good deal????

So i have a quick question.... when do you know its time for you to switch your clutch? I have about 40,000 miles on the gt and i noticed that i can not chirp the tires when i shift to second gear! Before i could nooo problem, even when it was stock. Now i have a couple of things done and cant do it anymore..... is it time? And also, would a stage 3 spec clutch and aluminum flywheel be good? I found one with 5,000 miles on it for 300 bucks.... is that a good deal????

You might have something wrong then because I can chirp mine going 2-3 not to mention the 1-2 shift. Mine still has the stock clutch and 48K miles.

I'm not a fan of McLeod. They use a thicker then OEM clutch and try to compensate using a spacer. My McLeod would not want to release after it was warmed up for 10K miles. Now my synchro's are messed up and I need a new tranny. I should of went with OEM.

I have a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and aluminum flywheel and so far its been great. Easy pedal pressure and it grips awesome. I currently have approx 30 drag strip passes with a best ET of 12.214. No complaints.

I have the SPEC II now and the pedal pressure is almost like stock now. I still can't always get a really smooth shift. It is hella better now though than when it was new...then it was so grabby. Is it norman for the SPEC II to not be smooth? Does the power level affect it? I know this is darkside03gt's thread but maybe these ?'s might help.

My car came with Luk Pro-Gold, it feels perrty heavy and i'm satisfied with it. But I haven't had any experience with these other ones, and noone else is running pro-gold which makes me think its crap.

anyone else "pro-gold" ya or nah???

why would you buy a used clutch? lol thats like buying a used condom

I had a McCleod, I liked it until it died. I switched to a RAM HD with a RAM aluminum flywheel. I love it so far, but I had it put together specifically for my set up. It's a dual friction organic/kevar disc. But the clutch and flywheel cost me almost $1000.

Every brand has people who dont like it. And oddly enough this site is like the only one that gives spec a bad name....everywhere else has good things about it. I went with spec because it had the least complaints accross the internet...and im 100% happy with my spec stg 3 :nice:

Some people have good luck with Spec, some don't. I'm in the "some don't" category. In my last car I had 3, yes 3 Spec clutches go bad. Between shipping costs back and forth, paying for a rental while my car was down, and paying for the shop to do the job twice,,,, I was out of pocket over 2k and the people at Spec couldn't have cared less. Yea, they sent me a new clutch, but only after I spent a good chunk of cash to send them the bad one. They wouldn't cover the shipping costs or anything.

After 1 stage 2 going bad and 2 stage 3's going bad WITHIN ONE YEAR, I swore I would neveer use one of their products ever again. F_U_C_K SPEC......

i got a stage 3 zoom in my car and i love it...jst not the 700 mile break in:rolleyes:

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 56