cobra r rims...AFS wheels?

kirkyg

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2002
Beaumont, TX
I've been looking into new rims and tires for the past few days. My front right tire is showing white thread right on the edge of the tire and my front right is also nearly bald. I think its a good time to sell my rims and get new wheels and tires.

I've been to discount tire and explored many options. Discount gave me a price of $1800 warranty, mount and balance for 17x9 (f) / 17x10.5 (b) cobra R rims with Kumho Ecsta 712 Supras 245/45/17 (f) / 315/35/17 Nitto Drag Radials on back. (they were unable to locate 17x8 for the front which is what i really want).

On ebay i can either buy my own rims for 17x8/17x10.5 AFS wheels for $695.00 + 80.00 shipping (no lug nuts or stems included). say +40 for lugs/stems. That comes out to 815.00 for rims. This is 100 bucks cheaper than discount tires price.

I can bid on the 2 on ebay that are 17x8/10.5 no reserve one is 1 day away and the other is 2 days away. And hope the bid stays under like 600 or so. Or i can go with AFS's already balance and mounted tires on 17x8/10.5 Kumho Ecsta 712's front and back. 275's on back (i really want 315 wide).
This sells for $1195.00 + 125.00 shp. + lugs $40 = $1360.00

I'm leaning towards the latter because of price. I really want nittos but it just may not be feasible right now considering the difference in price in my options.

My questinos are:
1) Do any of you have a suggested course of action?
2) What is AFS wheels reputation for quality?
3) If i order off of ebay Will i be able to get these wheels/tires in a week or will it take multiple weeks to receive (assuming i pay instantly after winning).

Thanks in advance.

kirkyg

• Sponsors (?)

good question. I say wait and get what ya really want. Hell I'll sell ya my rims with 17X8.5 Y2K Cobra R's w/ semi used tires for $500 total, and use it towards me getting Real 18in Y2K Cobra R's, and tires, but you don't really want mine -

BTW- what are AFS wheels ?

EDIT: just noticed you can come pick them up lol.

I would also consider the 17x9 17x10.5 03 Cobra AFS combo. I went to the AFS store and 275's don't look right on the rim.. makes it look like a thinner rim than it is. I got my 18x9 03 Cobra AFS's for 415 off ebay (from the AFS store-i picked them up there).. then got tires afterwards ( you can just order from www.discounttire.com or whatever).

With the rims and 265/35/18, 275/35/18 combo i was at about 1300 installed out the door.

they ship out quickly (you can pay with credit card right after transaction).. good operation they've got going, UPS trucks in and out all day

-wade

I know and have seen several people with AFS rims, both bullitt and the 03 Cobra replica's, both 9 and 10.5.. The 10.5 bullitts look phenominal with the deep dish look to them and the cobra's look awesome as well. Get the tires elsewhere if you can get a deal on just the rims. They are heavy though, especially the 10.5's. Put 315's on em. 275's will look thin and wont protect your rim well from curbs.

I have 2 OEM Ford 17X9" and 2 AFS 17X10.5" on my car and the match was 100 % perfect. Quality of the AFS wheels is awesome.

I have 315/35 on them and one wheel did not need any weight added to get it balanced and the other one needed just a tiny little piece of a stick on weight.

My OEM Ford one needed a lot of weight added compare to the AFS , I don't know if the Nitto tires and better balanced than the Good Year one. :shrug:

mpcv20002.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions...

Here is the price difference between buying off ebay the ones with tires

$1350

as compared to the price having discounttire set them up for me and purchasing @ 699+ shipping

$1700

My goal is to try to get these rims cheaper by bidding if i can't i'll just order the ones with tires. And just keep the 275's until the tread wears on them and then the 315's go on. I dont really have much other option without putting myself behind big time $ wise.

kirkyg

i have a set of 03 cobra 18x9 18x10.5 afs replicas and the quality is really good. i got them for 445$ without tires on ebay, and if i didnt bid, the other guy would've gotten it for ~350$, cuz no one bid before me!
the ebay auctions are great for afs, you can get their rims or combos for really cheap if you take your time.

also afs has VERY good service. i scheduled an appointment to pick them up, and they even called to remind me about the appointment the day before. i assume having it shipped would have similar service.

stanglx: you can pick them up even for ebay auctions. they don't have much of a time limit on pick-ups after ebay auction end, they schedule whenever is a good time for you.

xomp said:
stanglx: you can pick them up even for ebay auctions. they don't have much of a time limit on pick-ups after ebay auction end, they schedule whenever is a good time for you.
oh wow that really is cool! thank you for the info. i think if i get the R's i'm looking at, i'll just have my gf pick them up because she lives up there.

1990StangLX said:
canoga park.

i wonder if they let you just pick them up from there instead of having them shipped...
i picked mine up.. just tell them you live 10 min away and that it wouldn't be worth shipping. They also mounted and balanced 275/35/18 kumho's for 175 each.

stallion98gt said:
AFS wheels are really nice.. I'm looking into getting the 03 cobra rims in 17x9 and 17x10.5...
wms004 ..where is AFS store ? I live in southern cal too
like the man said, Canoga park, right next to Woodland Hills.. I live in SF bay area and go to school here in LA county..i'm assuming you do the same.

-wade

does anyone have any pics of 315/35/17's on a mustang, im looking to get the replica bullits. 17/9, and 17/10.5 in the back, 1500$ total from discount tire direct. with the nitto drag radials on the back, and the nt555's on the front, i just dont know how far they will stick out in the back wheel well. they gave me a 6.5inch backspacing in the back........

I got my 03 Cobra wheels & Sumitomo tires from AFS last year. Won the eBay auction for under $700 (tires & wheels). Then they called me the day after I made payment and said the rims were backordered and made me an offer I coudn't refuse. They said I could have any other rim in stock for the same price or if I wanted to wait for the 03s they would credit me the $125 shipping. I chose to wait they creditted my CC $125 for the shipping and the rims and tires showed up the next day. Now that's customer service.

I have 4 (5 lug) 17x9 Cobra R replicas from AFS mounted with Kumho 712's (275's on all four) I am selling for $175 a piece. They tires/wheels are already mounted/balanced and have about 5K on them. I have pictures. They are the silver painted ones. I got everything through Tirerack for $300 a piece.

275 is the perfect size for a 17x9 wheel.