Cobra/SVT emblem powdercoating questions

VerbalKint

Feb 19, 2004
I was thinking about powdercoating my cobra emblems on the fenders and the SVT logo on the trunk lid a smokey black color over chrome... it looks really good on wheels and other trim pieces, and I think it would look especially clean on my black 98 Cobra.

Here are my questions:
1) Are the fender emblems plastic, steel, or aluminum? If they're plastic, is there anywhere to get metal ones? (they need to be solid metal for powdercoating)
2) The SVT emblem on the back... what material is it made out of? I was looking at mine, and it feels like aluminum over a foam backing or something. Again, anywhere to get metal ones?
3) What stores sell metal front grill Cobra emblems? I've heard some are plastic and some are metal.

The end result will be kind of like this , only imagine it a little more shiny, and with more of a tinted black look instead of a solid black look. Think of 2000 BMW M5 wheels, only a little bit darker. Or kind of like the dark 10th anniversary Cobra wheels.

If these turn out nice, I might consider making them for other people, but we'll see. I have to see how much work is involved in getting the emblems to a solid chrome color, as they have that black in the deeper parts of the emblem.

• Sponsors (?)

To the best of my knowledge, all the emblems are plastic. For sure, the fender snakes and the grill emblem are. The deck lid emblem should be as well. Its far, far cheaper to mold plastic emblems than cast metal ones.

True about the cost of making the emblems. I found one version of the front Cobra that is metal, it's like $30 though. Maybe I'll just have to experiment with various spraypaints or something until I find something that looks the part. The tough thing is going to be getting the emblems down to a solid chrome look, as I can't use my super heavy paint and finish remover on plastic. That would be ugly. Melt through the whole thing. Dammit, ford makes a Cobra, they should give us real metal emblems!