Coilover suspension questions

LXSTASY

Founding Member
Apr 25, 2000
Long Island, NY
I was wondering would a full coil-over suspension be the best thing for a balance between street and strip?
With a coil-over set-up, can I adjust ride height and the strength of the shocks?
Could I make it stiff and low for the highway and loosen it up in the front for the track?
Any info on coil-overswould be appreciated including the not so great parts about it.
Thanks
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

Coilovers are only for ride height adjustments and weight reduction. You'd need CC plates with the coilovers too as the shock towers werent meant to support that much weight.

You'll need adjustable shocks as well to do the loosening you mentioned.

Honestly... you might as well get the groundpounder tubular front end for $500 from musclemotors that comes with coilovers and lose some front end weight too.

crazypete said:
Coilovers are only for ride height adjustments and weight reduction. You'd need CC plates with the coilovers too as the shock towers werent meant to support that much weight.

That's not entirely accurate. Coilovers do a lot more than just make it easier to adjust ride and lose some weight. Maximum Motorsports hit the nail of the head and are considered one of the top manufacturers for Mustang suspension products.

Find a lot of answers here: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/coiloverFAQ.asp

The stock shock towers will hold up fine, it is the stock rubber and the stock C/C plates that were not meant for extra weight. When you go to C/O's with GOOD C/C plates, you elimate all rubber/poly bushings up front, with the exception of the sway bar mounts.

If you buy adjustable struts, it takes 2 seconds to adjust them. If you buy C/O's, you have the ability to change springs out on all 4 corners in under an hour. So if you want to drag race one weekend and corner the next, it makes it that much easier.

Hope this helps.

Tim