Fox COILOVERS FOR 79-86 FOXES?

Dxn

Jun 10, 2023
ALABAMA
In the process of upgrading the 85' Fox. I am going to be a street driven with maybe hitting the track every once and now. I was looking at Vikings but damn those are costly and Ive never done coilovers before. My goal is to be able to stance my fox with this wheel and tire package I got on LMR and to increase comfort. Asking to see everyones coilover/suspension setup. Also please suggest other upgrades that have made that night and day difference. Post pics so we can see that stance. Thanks everyone!

• Sponsors (?)

Griggs valved Koni DA’s with Maximun Motorsports coil overs front and rear:

RenderedImage.jpg

Stance, comfort and coil overs are three things I would never use together in describing a fox body lol. Cheap coil overs kits generally ride like ass, most are sleeved designs and done on a budget, good kits are not cheap, cheap kits are horrible and the Taiwan kits everyone's rebranding now with the rear adjustable spring perches are absolutely garbage, raceland, rtr, sve, etc... If its road/track I'd stick with mm or griggs, more drag racing Viking kits are one of the better designs though most of the valving would be for weight transfer and controling separation to keep the rear planted.

You want comfort, stick with stock stuff and rubber bushings or air ride, but you give up performance. You want performance you give up alot of comfort. You want stance, you give up everything on a stock chassis, suspension doesn't work when there is none and a stock chassis doesn't allow it with out serious metal work, mini tub, relocated rear suspension mounting points etc and if a Viking kit is too much you won't like the cost of doing that....

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I will say that the best ride my Coupe ever had was on the H&R Super Sport springs and Tokico Illumina shocks all the way around. Had stock LCA's up front with rubber bushings, Maximum Motorsports LCA's and stock UCA's in the rear. Car was great on the street and handled very well. Coil overs I have now are far superior to what I had but I gave up some ride quality. When I went to a full Maximum Motorsport suspension all that went out the door. Car kills it in the corners and hooks like mad coming out of them but again the ride quality suffered compared to the stock stuff with good springs and dampers.

Think tokico, stuff is long gone for these cars. Not as many options as there used to be for decent stock style shocks and struts. Lot more custom valued stuff adapted to them with kits though but $$$$

Stance, comfort and coil overs are three things I would never use together in describing a fox body lol. Cheap coil overs kits generally ride like ass, most are sleeved designs and done on a budget, good kits are not cheap, cheap kits are horrible and the Taiwan kits everyone's rebranding now with the rear adjustable spring perches are absolutely garbage, raceland, rtr, sve, etc... If its road/track I'd stick with mm or griggs, more drag racing Viking kits are one of the better designs though most of the valving would be for weight transfer and controling separation to keep the rear planted.

You want comfort, stick with stock stuff and rubber bushings or air ride, but you give up performance. You want performance you give up alot of comfort. You want stance, you give up everything on a stock chassis, suspension doesn't work when there is none and a stock chassis doesn't allow it with out serious metal work, mini tub, relocated rear suspension mounting points etc and if a Viking kit is too much you won't like the cost of doing that....

To OP:

But... If you want it all you're going to have to move past a 30-year-old chassis and suspension. :D

By today's standards, what you have there is a lightweight, no-frills, high-performance Go-Kart. :nice:

To OP:

But... If you want it all you're going to have to move past a 30-year-old chassis and suspension. :D

You can only do so much with this chassis, and ask so much of it.

Put it this way.... My 100K mile car has a brand spanking new full MM setup on it with coil-overs. It rides damn good for a foxbody and probably one of the better riding foxes i've been in.

My daily driver has 152K miles on it with original shocks/struts and still rides better with virtually no interior rattles. I go from driving my fox around for 10-20 mins to the DD and it's like riding on a cloud, even considering it could use new shocks/struts.

You could almost draw a 3-circle Venn diagram with Comfort, stance and performance in the 3 bubbles. Pick any two.

EDIT: Feals are another high-priced option. I've heard guys say good things about them but i have no experience with them