Coilovers on Daily Driver?

nick6704

Sep 7, 2004
I've been thinking about installing coilovers on all corners of my '04 GT, which is my daily driver, and I was wondering if there are any negative aspects of this decision? I've searched around and found a good amount of information about coilovers in general, but no discussion about coilovers on DD's.

Also, does a coilover suspension wear your shocks/struts any different (faster?)

I'm thinking about a Modular Mustang Racing coilover set up in the rear with Tockico shocks and a Maximum Motorsports front coilover with Bilstein struts. Any input on that set up?

Thanks!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I have Griggs Racing coil overs w/ 350lb springs mated with Edelbrock struts on the front. I've had zero problems with them so far, and they really help to increase handling. As for the rear coil overs, well, I don't have those. What I do have on the rear is a set of Edelbrock shocks and H&R sport springs that are meant to go with a MM torque arm. I haven't installed the torque arm yet, so it's a little bit stiff and bouncy. I also have a MM panhard bar on the rear, and it works great and keeping the rear end in place when turning.

Coil overs on the rear aren't needed unless if you're a die hard corner carver, or if you're into serious road racing. Remember, the Mustangs (not Cobras) have a solid rear axle setup, and not independant rear suspension (like the Cobras).

EDIT: Should you decide to get coil overs for the front, then a set of 4 bolt caster camber plates is needed. I would also look into a set of aftermarket ball joints, or different a-arms altogether.

Thanks for the input! My problem with the rears is that I have Eibach Prokit springs on all 4 right now, and the rear ones are sagging, and I think they are responsible for the creaking sound in my rear suspension (installed them without isolators, and they are rusted around the area where they contact the spring perch). So what I was thinking was I would convert to coil over in the rear to solve that problem and then coilover in the front down the road to match. Anyone else have any opinions/input? Also, anyone have any experience with Modular Mustang Racing stuff? Thanks!

I have the MM coilovers w/ bilsteins & 350 lb springs in front. I havent noticed any problems yet & the ride actually got a little better since I installed these & my cars pretty dumped in the front. My only problem is that now I need them in the rear too because the handling is a little unbalanced with the H&R ss's in the rear.

I would just go with all Bilstein on all four corners...
+1 to bilsteins from MM.

However, I must add that you may need to wait a while to get the kit. There's been a new advancement in strut mounting ear design going on at MM; (you can read more at CC) to spare the gruesomely long details, you want the new mounting design. Call MM and ask how long it will be before they can have a kit ready for you with the new ears. Be patient with them, it's rare in this world to find a manufacture who is willing to go above their duty to make things right for the customer.

This goes for everyone who currently has the Bilstein C/Os on their car right now. You can voluntarily send in your current struts and have the new ears put on. Don't panic everyone, less than 0.001% of the people on this board should be concerned that their current ears may fail. Only if you are running 275 or wider R compound tires with better than factory cobra brakes while driving road courses on a regular basis should you need to take a look at this right now. The other 99.999% of us can go on with our happy lives.

i have the mm coilovers with the bilsteins on all 4 corners..
its deffinately rougher than stock, but i think its great.. i love it stiff and rough though.. i have been in alot of other cars with coilvers and the kit that i have is alot better.. its not really bouncy or overly stiff.. the car feels really good though and i deffinately wouldnt go any other way.
i also would just deffinately stick with mm and bilsteins on all 4 corners.. i think it doesnt matter if ur serious into autox or road course, even if u just want ur car to handle better.. dont settle for anything but mm with bilsteins.. mm has done tons of research, their kit is ready to go, u dont need to worry about having clashing parts front and rear.. plus i also heard if u have quite a few of their parts, at some track days, they will come and and help u out with weighting or setup etc..
if u do go with this kit, i would strongly suggest just getting the mm lca's as well.. i just put mine in on friday and if u put in the lca's while ur putting the rear coilovers, it will only prolly take an extra 30 mins tops!! i love the lca's though, i didnt have quads earlier so i have less wheel hop, the rear feels alot stiffer and solid in turns, and i can push it harder while in turns as well... even just for feel, lca's are :nice: !!
just go with mm! they know what they are doing and make great parts!