Comp XE258 or XE264

ok i took my block to the machine shop. It has to be bored .30 over and the cam selection is coming up, I am using my dads credit card, i am getting the 10.13:1 forged pistons in the summit rebuild kit, the heads are getting new valve springs valve seals keepers ect. Now the cam selection, Michael Yount recommended these two cams, i wanna know any info about the two, i know the powerband is slightly different and the lift duration is different, but how is the idle quality, between the two and how does it sound as well perform thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i called crane and the tech was a jerk, no offense but michael yount told me to go with the comp i would be a lot happier here are the cam specs

Camshaft, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 264/270, Lift .544/.544, Ford 5.0 Liter, Each
Vendor Competition Cams
Product Line Competition Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts
Cam Style Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range 1,500-5,500 RPM
Intake Duration 050 inch Lift 212
Exhaust Duration 050 inch Lift 218
Advertised Intake Duration 264
Advertised Exhaust Duration 270
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.544
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.544
Lobe Separation (degrees) 112
Grind Number FW XE264HR-12
Notes Designed to be used with 1.7 ratio roller rockers.

Vendor Competition Cams
Product Line Competition Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts
Cam Style Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range 1,300-5,300 RPM
Intake Duration 050 inch Lift 208
Exhaust Duration 050 inch Lift 216
Advertised Intake Duration 258
Advertised Exhaust Duration 266
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.533
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.544
Lobe Separation (degrees) 112
Grind Number FW XE258HR-12
Notes (Not Specified)

I know there are differences in duration and lift, with the 264 would I have to use 1.7's would that hinder my performance? Also what do these cams sound like? i dont want one that is too radical for the street but one with a nice rumble and power keep the input coming

Have you talked to the tech folks at Comp Cams? The 258 is great stock HO replacement cam - more umph in the middle and up top without hurting the bottom end (given your other mods); the 264 will be a little stronger on top at the expense of a little bottom. Both will have excellent idle quality - won't notice much of a cam at all.

You want seat of the pants difference? Then go with the cam who's power band starts 200 RPM lower. Not a huge difference but would be the deciding factor for me in two similar cams I was planning to run on the street.

Cam is too small for a 10:1 302 with a carb and you also don't need that much bias on the exhaust. The XE258 has a very early closing intake which along with short duration and 10:1 cr is going to give high cyl pressures..you better have a good tune with good gas. Stock heads don't flow all that great so with more compression and a carb I would look for a cam with more duration to help fill cyls but that's just me.