control arm nut being a pain

just curious.... are we talking the front bolt on the rear control arm? or the front control arm?

place wrench on nut
position floor jack under wrench so that upward motion would loosen nut.
jack up and viola! instant loosening

my snap-on 600 ft lb. was enough to do the job :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Euphoric306 said:
just curious.... are we talking the front bolt on the rear control arm? or the front control arm?

place wrench on nut
position floor jack under wrench so that upward motion would loosen nut.
jack up and viola! instant loosening

my snap-on 600 ft lb. was enough to do the job :nice:

We are talking about the front bolt on the REAR control arm.

smokin91' said:
another question. Does using a universal joint with a impact reduce its torque output?

YES, it does. Anytime you lengthen the distance between the torque you apply to the fastener, you will lose some of that torque. The metal is not completely rigid, so some torque will be lost in the torsion of the metal between the two (ie. extension or universal joint).

I'm not an engineer, but I do share a room with one.

I agree kslushy. I was using a couple extensions to get the drive shaft flange bolts off an aluminin drive shaft. (bigger dia driveshaft so I had to get clearance for my impact). It would budge them and I have an IR impact so its a good one. I took the ujoint apart and the bolts came right out in a heartbeat.

if not loose yet (it's been long enough that i would think tou have), a long breaker bar with the car jacked up high enough to use it for one click on a wratchet wrench or a wrench to re-adjust will work, if you don't want to do this, you could use a wrench and put a jack on the end of it, but you need to make sure it doesn't twist off of the nut. also penetrating oil, banging with a hammer to vibrate the bolt loose and hitting the end of a wrench which is on the bolt with a hammer might work.

I got pissed off at the thing and have left it alone for a week. On wednesday im taking it to my g/f's dads garage and im going to put it on his lift and put some heat to those nuts and hit it with his 1000ft/lb impact gun and while its on the lift ill install the battle boxes right there. Ill get some pics once I get it all done.

Took my car to my g/f's dads garage today to put the boxes on. Took me and him a little less then an hour from start to finish. Now all thats left to do is get the top plates welded in when I get my subframes installed. I took some pics, Ill put them up later.

Its 4:20 time!