Convert 2 piece main seal to 1

65FBE2

Mar 8, 2007
Minnasnowta
Can anyone tell me if you can convert a early 2 piece block to a 1 peice rear main seal? I have 347 in a 71 block with a texas sized leak coming out the rear. I pulled the motor and we can find no reason for the rear main to be leaking. Any help would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

This ain't a small block chevy. Just replace the rear mail seal and be done w/ it. Are you sure it is leaking though? Was the back of the intake leaking or maybe even one of the plugs on the back of the block?

Can anyone tell me if you can convert a early 2 piece block to a 1 peice rear main seal? I have 347 in a 71 block with a texas sized leak coming out the rear. I pulled the motor and we can find no reason for the rear main to be leaking. Any help would be appreciated

Replace your block with a late-model block. That's the only way.

The older blocks, pre73, have a higher nickel content and are therefore a lot stronger! Not to mention it is already machined and assembled.

I dopped the pan and replaced the seal twice. Even shimed it for a tighter fit (recommended by the engine builder for cronic leakers.) I have checked everything including the flywheel bolts and the intake. The block is dry with no sign of leaking behind the bellhousing on the block side. The pan gasket is not leaking. The only place left is the main. And it drips at a rate of about 1 drip every 5 seconds. Could it be the Crank? Is there a differents between a early 2 piece crank and a 1 piece? is there a slinger on the old cranks that does not exist on the new ones?