Convertible roof dilemna (potentially ripped-off)

Aftrbrnr

Whitey cashier gave me the wrong change at the sup
Founding Member
Feb 19, 2000
Canaduh
Last July (of 2008), I replaced the roof on my '92 LX Vert. I purchased a new roof, rear window, and weather stripping. I'll post pics later, but here are a few things I've noticed with the car after it was done:

1. Immediately after I got the car back I noticed that there was a gap almost an half-an-inch thick between the weather-stripping and top of the windshield when it obviously should make contact. The guy that did the install claimed it was crappy weatherstripping (which he ordered, so why did he order crap weatherstripping?) so his idea of a fix was to glue long plastic strip across the top of the windshield so it sealed the gap. IMO, the proper fix would've been to make adjustments so that the weatherstrip and the top of the windshield make a snug contact.

2. There are major gaps at the side windows (driver's side and passenger side) between the weatherstrip and the top of the windows, both of them large enough for me to stick a finger through. As you can guess, this makes it almost impossible to drive the car in rain and very difficult to wash without drenching the interior.

3. One of the larger problems that was present with the old worn-out roof and one I was hoping would be rectified with a replacement was at highway speeds, a large gap would form between where the roof and top of the windshield met. The end result was the air rushing in through the gap would create a noise loud enough that I have to turn the car's audio system volume to distortion levels just so I can hear it. The new roof does not fix this problem at all, and in fact it is worse because problem #2 also contributes to it now. As you can guess, this gap that is formed at highway speed allows rain other objects (insects, in fact) to enter the car.

4. It is now difficult to put the latch the roof, I essentially need a guy to push down on the roof so the latches can come close enough to meet the receptacle.

I have tried to get the installer to make adjustments so everything fits flush. He has tried, but nothing has gotten better. One thing he has claimed is the hook receptacles are worn out and it makes it difficult to make the adjustments to make it seal properly. The receptacles are worn out, the plastic pieces that fit over them are gone and the hooks have gouged into the metal. Being unable to find these parts, the installer told me to take the receptacles to a welder so he could re-shape them. I took them to the welder, and here's where things get interesting. . .

The welder did repair the receptacles back to a usable condition (they don't look pretty, I'll say that much) but he told me what I've feared all along: the roof install was crap, as he said "it was too tight". This probably explains all the gaps and why it's so hard to latch the roof up.

This upcoming week, I'm going to try and attempt to get the installer to get everything to seal right now that I've done the receptacle repairs that he claimed was a prerequisite to making everything fit and seal properly. I still don't buy his rationale that it's crap weather stripping, I don't think the worse weather stripping would leave nearly a half-inch gap.

The least I want is the guy to make everything seal and fit properly, nothing more. Based on what I've said so far, does it sound like this was a bad install?

• Sponsors (?)

the top just sounds like it needs to be adjusted. everytime the top is replaced it will need to be adjusted. if the mentioned link doesnt work, I have the top manual which has all the adjustments. it's not for the faint of heart as it is tedious and some of the spots are difficult to reach. let me know if you need the info and I will see if I can scan the manual into a PDF format.