Convertible system; thinking 'outside the box'

_JK_

Nov 24, 2006
Ok, my 01 GT vert is my daily driver. Not quite sure what I was thinking there. ;)

That said, I'd like to assemble some sort of system in there (Currently running a Kenwood Excelon X890 with the stock Mach 460 junk).

Requirements:
-Maintain as much trunk space as possible
-Keep spare tire intact

On the amp side, I'm leaning towards a 6 channel amp like the Infinity 5761a to keep things as modular as possible.

Things I'm considering exploring, but haven't seen anyone else try yet:
-Figure out a way to put a couple JL 6W0 subs (or similar) in the rear Mach pods, run a regular component set up front. (obviously wouldn't need the 6channel amp in that case)
-Find someone who makes a 6x8 actual Subwoofer, and run a setup similar to the Mach 460 setup ("subs" at the bottom, everything else routed to the "tweeters", which I'd like to somehow shove a 3.5" fullrange in, no clue if that's even remotely possible though)

I have a feeling what I'll wind up doing is a straight setup with 2 10 or 8" subs in either side of the trunk, which is far from ideal, but I can't think of any better ways to achieve my setup. I do listen to a fair amount of rap/hiphop along with rock/jazz/metal, so I need a good all-round setup. Not looking to break windows, but I'd like to feel something. I'm worried 8s in the trunk will get lost when the top is down.

So, ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

It will take at least 3 times the sub you expect to get any sound out of that trunk.. then your decklid will just rattle and you still won't here any bass..
You need to maximize your mid bass in the passenger compartment..

Personally, I would run memphis car audio 8" Multi Syncs in the front doors, and 6" multi syncs in the rear corners...Push as much power as possible to these mids...I recommend the Memphis belle 5 channel.... 75x4 + 1100x1 RMS! JL does make a stealthbox for the trunk, but it still won't be very loud..

Stealthbox
Copy2ofIMG_0206.jpg

Attachments

• Copy2ofIMG_0206.jpg
    Copy2ofIMG_0206.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 94
It will take at least 3 times the sub you expect to get any sound out of that trunk.. then your decklid will just rattle and you still won't here any bass..
You need to maximize your mid bass in the passenger compartment..

Personally, I would run memphis car audio 8" Multi Syncs in the front doors, and 6" multi syncs in the rear corners...Push as much power as possible to these mids...I recommend the Memphis belle 5 channel.... 75x4 + 1100x1 RMS! JL does make a stealthbox for the trunk, but it still won't be very loud..

Stealthbox
Copy2ofIMG_0206.jpg

What kind of crossover would you run on those 6/8 drivers?

Is there a solid howto on cramming 8s in the doors?

Attachments

• Copy2ofIMG_0206.jpg
    Copy2ofIMG_0206.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 100
They are components so there is already an awesome crossover that comes with them... has -3,5,7 db drop on tweets...
It will take some work (cutting with body saw, etc) to get them to fit.. but, the DO fit in the doors.. I made them work, had excellent pics, but lost all of them when the work computer crashed...
Like I said before, most importantly you will need more base in the cabin area because the sound doesn't leave the trunk... I did a mustang vert and even built ports from the trunk into teh cabin and still very little base.

They are components so there is already an awesome crossover that comes with them... has -3,5,7 db drop on tweets...
It will take some work (cutting with body saw, etc) to get them to fit.. but, the DO fit in the doors.. I made them work, had excellent pics, but lost all of them when the work computer crashed...
Like I said before, most importantly you will need more base in the cabin area because the sound doesn't leave the trunk... I did a mustang vert and even built ports from the trunk into teh cabin and still very little base.

I don't know what "base" is...but I get plenty of BASS in my vert from just one kicker 10 inch speaker pushed by a soundstream. And what ports did you build to go into the cabin? And how the hell did they not get crushed when you dropped to top? I'm gonna have to call Bull-Crap on that one. The only thing seperating the trunk from the cabin is a thin wall of plastic and the top when its in the down position.

I don't know what "base" is...but I get plenty of BASS in my vert from just one kicker 10 inch speaker pushed by a soundstream. And what ports did you build to go into the cabin? And how the hell did they not get crushed when you dropped to top? I'm gonna have to call Bull-Crap on that one. The only thing seperating the trunk from the cabin is a thin wall of plastic and the top when its in the down position.

A single 10 did the trick even with the top down though? Just trying to figure out how much attenuation there'd be (if I even went that route). I wish I could just find someone locally with a system in a vert. :)

it's an 05 Vert ASS

Where's your bull**** flag now???
IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

There is a large opening underneath the back seat..We used an aeroport into the quarterpanel area.. It was added after these pics because the customer came back because there was not enough "base"...

Attachments

• IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 81