convertible top problems...HELP!!!

89drop

Aug 30, 2009
ok, so i have an 89 gt convertible that im having problems with. actually a few different problems so ill list them all here...

here we go. I have never driven this car in the rain, snow, or even cold wether so i have never had the top up since i have owned it (going on 7 years now) top was up when i bought it (in july) so i put the top down. well i have been doing some cleaning of the car and have decided to put the top up and it seems as if the top is about a half inch to 3/4 set back from being able to close properly, like the whole thing has been shifted slightly towards the back of the car. is there an adjustment for this?

next question, may be related to the first. all the top wether striping is new, wel was new when i bought it, and with the windows rolled up it seems as if the windows are still slightly down, is there an adjustment to make them go up a little more, or could it be that the rubber is slightly compressed?

last thing ill put in this post is my top pump and cylinders, does anyone have a step by step guide on this. i have added a little fluid to my pump as it seems as when it was about half way up it lost that push that it needs to lift the top, it has helped, but i dont want to over do it. how do i know its as full as it needs to be? it seemed to be pretty low when i added to it.

thanks in advance everyone!:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

The problem is the fact that you left the top down for 7 years. Its not recomended to leave a vert top down over night much less 7 years.

The vinyl has gotten hard, drawn up and shrunk. This happens naturally with older vinyl tops. The fact that you left it down for so long didn't help. In short your top is now smaller than before.

Your best option is to raise the top and use heat gun on the vinyl in attempt to soften it and stretch it back out. Be careful not to burn it. If you have a heated garage heat it up and leave the car with top up for awhile. It may take some time but this should help. If it gets close try and force it down and latch it. But you need to continue the heat treatment for a few days so the vinyl will get a new memory so to speak. Hopefully these tips will help because I feel its your only choice at this . New tops are expensive.

I feel your frame is fine and has not become out of adjustment. However there are adjustments to the frame but I could not begin to try to explain how in a post. Raise the top and search both sides of the frame. There are overhead adjustment points over both front windows. There are more adjustment points on both sides on either side of the back seat. Remove your inside quarter panels to access these parts.
Mark the adjustments before you do anything. That way you can put it back if it doesn't help the problem.

The well molding is expensive but there aren't many choices yet in that market. The problem with possible used well molding is the mounting studs are prone to breaking off rending the mold useless. So, $130 bucks really isn't that bad.

Good Luck

IF these tips were helpful and you are successful in getting it back up and latched, never ever leave that top up for a long period of time again. Use it, enjoy it, and raise it to store it.

The problem is the fact that you left the top down for 7 years. Its not recomended to leave a vert top down over night much less 7 years.

The vinyl has gotten hard, drawn up and shrunk. This happens naturally with older vinyl tops. The fact that you left it down for so long didn't help. In short your top is now smaller than before.

Your best option is to raise the top and use heat gun on the vinyl in attempt to soften it and stretch it back out. Be careful not to burn it. If you have a heated garage heat it up and leave the car with top up for awhile. It may take some time but this should help. If it gets close try and force it down and latch it. But you need to continue the heat treatment for a few days so the vinyl will get a new memory so to speak. Hopefully these tips will help because I feel its your only choice at this . New tops are expensive.

I feel your frame is fine and has not become out of adjustment. However there are adjustments to the frame but I could not begin to try to explain how in a post. Raise the top and search both sides of the frame. There are overhead adjustment points over both front windows. There are more adjustment points on both sides on either side of the back seat. Remove your inside quarter panels to access these parts.
Mark the adjustments before you do anything. That way you can put it back if it doesn't help the problem.

The well molding is expensive but there aren't many choices yet in that market. The problem with possible used well molding is the mounting studs are prone to breaking off rending the mold useless. So, $130 bucks really isn't that bad.

Good Luck

IF these tips were helpful and you are successful in getting it back up and latched, never ever leave that top up for a long period of time again. Use it, enjoy it, and raise it to store it.
i had no idea it would shrink that much...most of the time when i see a vert driving down the highway the top looks so loose! guess i learn from my mistake this time! all my cars are in a climate controll garage, so i cranked the heat up today, time to put the top back on my jeep too so i guess that will help me on that too. thanks for all the advice, and ill store it with the top up from now on.

I never put my top down under 70 and sunny for this reason. Id try cranking the heat and get it about 85 and then might even go as far as to put a heat lamp above it (5 ft or so) to try and warm it up some more. dont force it or you might tear it.
as far as the pump goes, i had to add fluid to mine twice a year and got tired of fighting with it. the rams are fastened to the frame with pins, i pulled the pins and work the top manually.

I never put my top down under 70 and sunny for this reason. Id try cranking the heat and get it about 85 and then might even go as far as to put a heat lamp above it (5 ft or so) to try and warm it up some more. dont force it or you might tear it.
as far as the pump goes, i had to add fluid to mine twice a year and got tired of fighting with it. the rams are fastened to the frame with pins, i pulled the pins and work the top manually.

so it works pretty nice manually? i was thinking about this, it might work better for me anyway. i sometimes worry about getting in my car... i have shaved door handles, and once in a while ill have a door popper issue, just usualy have to leave a window down just incase...