Coolant issues

87'GTstang

Feb 16, 2004
Ok if coolant disappears at a pretty steady rate, then what are all of the possiblities for it to go? I've always been a textbook type and would blame a head gasket failure for it but the gar will still chirp tires even in 3rd gear so no loss of power is there. I just would like to know a few things to look for because I can't find any leaks. Also, what are the chances the heater core is screwed? Any suggestions whatsoever as to where it is disappearing to is greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

When I was losing coolant, I had a tiny hole in the heater hoses leading into the firewall. Couldnt see it and took me like a week to find it, but damn, that thing could leak some coolant. Also check under your thermostat, hard to see if its leaking there too, though it would pool under water pump.

Is your rad. cap sealing well enough? If it's not sealing perfectly, you lose pressure, which lowers boiling point and it could boil and evaporate. That being said, if the cap weren't sealing, you'd prob. have at least a little coolant on your battery, etc(maybe not if you drive easy). Just something to keep in mind.

Are you running a water/anti-freeze mix? If you're losing coolant, are you overheating as well? Check your oil to see if you have any coolant in there...I know you said it still has power, but I wouldn't rule out an internal leak just yet.

I've read that you don't necessarily see a puddle in your floorboard below the heater core. I think one guy had one leak down the firewall only. As Andres noted, those hoses in the back for the heater core can sometimes leak. Have you done any work on the car recently? Maybe you didn't tighten the clamps enough or maybe you have a defective hose.

Have you changed your coolant recently? Maybe it's still sucking it into the block...I had to drive mine, add some, and I kept doing that a numerous amount of times and it eventually stayed full.

Lots of stuff, hope this helps. Been there, done that, it sucks.

Yeah man, as having just reworked my cooling system (still working my own kinks out) I can tell you that what "TheUser" says is all true. My heater core blew and the only time it leaked was when I really nailed the gas. Otherwise I don't know what it did. However, once I installed a high flow water pump, it pulled like a mother. Best advice is to check those hoses leading into the firewall and the ones from your radiator and water pump. If you still can't find it, get some 5/8 tubing and bypass your heater core to see if that was it. Good luck!

Have I recently dome some work, :rlaugh:
I've invested about a thousand hours into this car so far and have done a hell of a lot of work. For the cooling system side, it has a new radiator, taurus electric fan setup, new pressure cap, and a new thermostat. It was fine for a good while when all work was said and done. Now it sucks maybe a gallon every 600-800 miles. So it is by all means not a big one - but it's annoying. The car runs cool as can be and on the stock gauge it never gets above the 3rd tick mark (and that's with the fan hardly ever running) I've checked the hoses, weep hole and all around the water pump, the thermostat housing, and connections to the radiator - also no leaking in the passenger floorboard. I see no white smoke out the tailpipes at anytime. So, it is very confusing. I still say blown headgasket but no signs point to it, so it has to be leaking from somewhere at probably high rpm when the pressure builds up I assume now. Please keep the suggestions comeing, i'll keep trying to track it down in the mean time.

Well I finally noticed it today but still can't zero in on it yet. It is for certain comeing from inside the engine bay from the passenger side and anywhere from mid-engine to the firewall. I had to rev it for a while then started to notice it on the gound. I tasted it and low and behold it was sweet tasting! I still can't find where it is comeing from and don't feel any hoses or anything wet. At least it doesn't appear to be a headgasket leak (still hoping) - any other problem areas in that area that i'm overlooking or hasn't been posted?

I had a similar problem with my car a while ago, water was coming out of the "weep" hole (i think that's what it's called) on the underside of the water pump. Like yours it wouldn't happen unless I got on it, it finally gave way and started peeing like crazy, I had to replace the pump.

I took me 3 weeks to find where it was coming from, the problem was in the beginning it was a small leak that evaporated quickly against the engine...

just a thought