Cost of 8.5 sec. legal cage in your area?

Bullitt347

I have been doing it wrong this whole time
15 Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Middle of Maine
So, I am getting an 8.5 sec legal cage installed in the 89 Saleen and was wondering what you all would have to pay to have this done where you live. I am interested in the cost for the cage to be done in mild steel and cost for chrome moly. The cost comparison I am looking for would be for the car to have no interior, dash/heater box/door panels/headliner and ALL other interior parts and pieces already removed from the car. I look forward to hearing what the prices around the country are.
Thank

Edit: yes, yes I know I spelled Legal wrong in the thread title. Sorry, can not see a way to correct anything in subject bar.

• Sponsors (?)

Its anywhere from 2200 to 2800 around me. It would be a good time to do some thru the floor subframes if you are going to do it.

This is a price range for moly, i wouldnt even consider mild steel.

Also, if i were you id leave the headliner in it and take it to someone you know is good even if it costs you more money. If you go for a cheap price and you dont like the cage, you are going to be stuck with it. Take it to the guy thats done hundreds of fox mustangs.

Its anywhere from 2200 to 2800 around me. It would be a good time to do some thru the floor subframes if you are going to do it.

This is a price range for moly, i wouldnt even consider mild steel.

And where roughly is "around me". It might give me some perspective if I knew the general area you are talking about.
Thanks

I am in massachusetts, and i called 4 or 5 different shops and got prices over the phone all in the northeast.

Also, another thing to think about is getting a window net put in, which was, i think, 250 at the shop that did my cage. If you are going to drive the car on the street i'd suggest getting a custom one with you in the car when the measurements are taken.

The car will not be street driven, except for out of the garage and onto the trailer. I checked with a couple of local places that do this type of stuff and the average quote is for $4K for mild steel and $6.5K for chrome moly.........:eek: Needless to say I was stunned!. But then again, this area is the world Headquarter for Microsoft, Costco, Google, Amazon and of course Boeing among others. It is not uncommon to see Aston Martins, Ferrari, Lambo et-al running around (weather permitting). So I guess these places are used to working for the higher end clientele, which is not me:fuss:

By the shops I trust to do it an do it right? Pretty sure they are between 4-6k
IDK, I mean, you have an 8 points 0n the floor with 2 swing outs, and the main hoop overhead. It does not seem like it is really involved. Now a 25.5 cert, I can see big bucks for, but a base cage.:shrug: maybe my expectations are wrong.

The car will not be street driven, except for out of the garage and onto the trailer. I checked with a couple of local places that do this type of stuff and the average quote is for $4K for mild steel and $6.5K for chrome moly.........:eek: Needless to say I was stunned!. But then again, this area is the world Headquarter for Microsoft, Costco, Google, Amazon and of course Boeing among others. It is not uncommon to see Aston Martins, Ferrari, Lambo et-al running around (weather permitting). So I guess these places are used to working for the higher end clientele, which is not me:fuss:

Holy crap, that is crazy. I did my cage in stages, which i regret, but i saved a little money that way. I paid 850 for the 8pt rollbar to be put in(had 2 extra bars to the tq boxes), they did TTF subrames for 450, then when i had the cage front halfed(3 bars total), it cost me around 1300. $4k for mild steel is nuts.

Maybe you should look into taking a ride to a shop that can do it for reasonable money. The guy that did my rollbar originally was telling me sometimes he'd have guys trailer the car down, then go hangout in boston for the day, and come back to the shop at night and the car would have the 10pt all ready to go.

IDK, I mean, you have an 8 points 0n the floor with 2 swing outs, and the main hoop overhead. It does not seem like it is really involved. Now a 25.5 cert, I can see big bucks for, but a base cage.:shrug: maybe my expectations are wrong.
The 25.5 in the race car was around 15k

To do the cage right it needs to be a 10 point and 12 would be better. Need the bars in the dash main hoop kicker bars to the sub frames back bars and should add an X to them then a bar going rocker panel to rocker panel then add swing outs if you do them but I wouldn't on a street car. And I'd also prob x the doors

You could also always buy the wolfe kit, ive never seen one but people say they fit good. They are also running 20% off right now, so you could save some cash there

Unless you are a really big guy id say the swingouts arent needed. Especially considering you dont plan on street driving the car.

You could also always buy the wolfe kit, ive never seen one but people say they fit good. They are also running 20% off right now, so you could save some cash there

Unless you are a really big guy id say the swingouts arent needed. Especially considering you dont plan on street driving the car.
even then im not a real small guy and i have no issue getting in and out of the race car with the 25.5 done. so id save the money on swing outs honestly.

and the wolfe kit is a goof option if you have some one local who can tig weld it.

Strictly speaking, by the rules, you do not even need a door bar on the passenger side, neither do the back bars have to be "X'd". Same for the door sill bars, not required. I am 6'4" and 235lbs, so I thought a swing out might be nice, although I can still climb into a Lotus Exige, so I must be still somewhat flexible LOL. Another reason for the swing out would be for ease of working on the interior, all of that has to go back together after the cage is done.