could i build my own subframes?

Well my dad owns a misc steel buisness and stuff like that and they have a really big shop i was wondering could i just get the specs of the steel get that and have one of them weld it together then weld on my car i think it would be cheaper....just wondering if anyone have specs and if this is a good/bad idea

• Sponsors (?)

sidewayzisbest said:
Well my dad owns a misc steel buisness and stuff like that and they have a really big shop i was wondering could i just get the specs of the steel get that and have one of them weld it together then weld on my car i think it would be cheaper....just wondering if anyone have specs and if this is a good/bad idea

Even though I bought mine, this link tells you everything you need to know. Good info!!!

Homemade Sub-Frame Connectors

Tim

sidewayzisbest said:

Yes, I made mine from 1 x 2 in rectangular tube. All it takes is cut to length, and put a slight bend at each end to make the connector mating area parallel to the car subframe. Then weld away. Total cost $25, including welding wire.

You can easily get under the car and measure and mock them up, even w/o dimensions from someone else.

Best thing I did to the chassis.

I have wondered the same thing and could have made some myself and welded them in when I was employed by a welding shop, but I decided against it. I think they should be tempered, or zone tempered, not just mild steel. Mild steel is just not all that rigid when you consider the forces that can be thrown at it by the torque of a V-8 engine. Technically you should not be welding anything on a vehicles frame, this can cause the already tempered steel to become brittle and crack, but many people do it. I have no problem with welding to my frame. I guess if you went with 1/8" wall 1x2 tubing it would be quite strong. This may even be better than what is offered on the market. I tend to over do things a bit, cause I am no engineer. Thats what I was going to do, but now I think I will buy some pre-fabbed connectors, the kind that brace the seats as well. MM makes them, but they have several models, so do your homework.