Could this just be a clutch cable, or is there more to it?

So, earlier on the freeway, I went into 3rd for engine braking. I didn't even finish engaging the clutch before putting it back down and trying to go back to 5th, since traffic had already cleared. It wouldn't go into any gear at all at that point, though.

So... hazards, exit freeway, wait for tow. That's where I'm at right now, actually. Looking fo any input on possibilities w/ my phone, while waiting for a 7.2mi tow to my place.

The clutch now requires a good bit less effort for the 1st 1/3rd of its travel, but ALMOST feels like that easier first portion is grinding against something. After that it ALMOST feels normal, but obviously doesn't engage. Well, at least not enough to let me shift w/ the engine running.

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments on my lttle situation. I don't have any tools to speak of ATM, BTW. Nothing I can really do right now, besides just wait. At least I have the Internet to keep me occuppied, lol.

• Sponsors (?)

A guy I trust from another forum says TOB or clutch fork. Based on the noises over the last few months, I am thinking it is more likely the clutch fork. :shrug:

I could deal with that. Probably just going to need to go w/o a car for a few weeks.

"Life happens" :)