Couple Newb Ques

95ConvGT

Jan 25, 2006
Norfolk,Va
Hey guys i have been around the 5.0 for a while on my friends 94GT. Now my g/f 's gp's bought her a 95GT Conv with a auto.Yeah i know what your thinking a slush box. Well this thing only has 55,000 miles. It is in MINT condition just beautiful. I have been reading up on things to do for the 5.0 HO. I hear that Tuning is a major thing in the 302 world. I Will be doing of course the Main and neccesary things. Spark plugs, wires,air filter, oil and tranny fluid change, belt, Get a alignment and Balance of the tires. What are the other things i should do. I want to swap out the Auto for the 5 speed or 6 speed if possible. What are the necessary things to do the swap. What else should i do. Help me out here. Thanks in advance. I appreciate it

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on what goals you have for the car. If you don't exactly have any yet .... my personal recommendation is that you wait a little while .... see what is out there for you to do .... and then move forward with your goals. Street/strip car? What HP goal is in mind? Budget? Things like that. It has taken me 2 cars and 4 years to finally decide what I "want". Do it right the 1st time. As far as the manual swap ... there are several on here that have done swaps. Do a forum search to find out what it takes / costs. A manual is ALOT more fun on the street.

And one more thing .... we want pics!!! :D

WECLOME TO STANGNET!!!!

Oh yeah pics will be taken tom and posted...yeah a 5 speed is sooooo much more fun i myself have a small 87 MR2. I actually bought it off Chuck Harris. I think he is the owner of Stangnet or one of them. It has been a great car and if he kept a car like that not being in that car field more of into the stangs. I know he can do wonders with the Stang.

I am thinking of doing about 400rwhp right about that. Maybe just a slight less. I think i just want to stick with the 302 just b/c it has only 55k on it. I was thinking some small normal mods and then a supercharger or turbo only pushing about 6-7 psi. That should put me about that range. It's going to be a street car. Thats why i was thinking of a mild number nothing to power happy.

Welcome to stangnet. Couple things to check and/or repair first is to clean the MAF and check the timing. Do a search for cleaning the MAF and you'll find out how to do it, it will save you from chasing down other gremlins that may appear down the road. Timing is often an isues on our cars as some are set very low for whatever reason. Also, check the balancer and see if the rubber insert is coming out or not, they tend to fail prematurely on our cars as well for some reason.

It's her car and she handled a 99 cobra pretty freaking good. So i would assume that was about 260 to the wheels. With more practice she could handle more.

When you say the balancer. Do you mean the Harmonic Balancer (crank pulley) ????

Thanks guys keep the answers coming thanks

Wow, this car is a twin to mine. Green w/ tan and an AODE.

There aren't going to be too many things you can do tuning wise to make it faster without buying aftermarket parts first. All the tuning in the world isn't going to give you a 12 sec. stock AODE Mustang, so I wouldn't get too wrapped up in that just yet. Your basic maintenance parts that you listed sound good like plugs and wires, also don't forget a new cap and rotor for your distributor. If it were my car, knowing what I do now, I would do the following to step up performance: (Assuming your not going to swap out the Tyranny for a 5/6 speed) 4.10 gears, 3000 RPM Stall Converter, shift kit, under drive pulleys, intake, exhaust (h-pipe, catback, & headers), cold air intake, and throttle body. Those aren't necessarily in any particular order, mainly just thinking of what gives you the best bang for your buck. Of course, some may just jump to a supercharger, heads/cam/intake, etc. but this is a basic list of parts that you can start gathering to give decent performance gains without getting too far into the engine or affecting some drivability. No tuning devices will be needed either for the parts that I listed.

Just a couple of thoughts on your 400 rwhp goal, IMHO. That is a LOT of power (well over 100% above stock and most mild blower kits deliver up to 50% over stock). A ton of guys around here shoot for 300 rwhp with either an HCI setup or blower/turbo. You will probably need to do more than forced induction and supporting mods to reach your goal. Maybe an aggressive blower or turbo set up would get you somewhat close. But you are probably looking at a stroker and power adder to really get you there. Then when you get there, you might actually be better off staying with the automatic.

Also, keep in mind that a tranny swap can be expensive. So you might want to hold off on that till you get the power plant closer to your goal first.

Don't mean to rain on your parade. Just want to help you keep your expectations realistic.

GRGT1994 said:
Just a couple of thoughts on your 400 rwhp goal, IMHO. That is a LOT of power (well over 100% above stock and most mild blower kits deliver up to 50% over stock). A ton of guys around here shoot for 300 rwhp with either an HCI setup or blower/turbo. You will probably need to do more than forced induction and supporting mods to reach your goal. Maybe an aggressive blower or turbo set up would get you somewhat close. But you are probably looking at a stroker and power adder to really get you there. Then when you get there, you might actually be better off staying with the automatic.

Also, keep in mind that a tranny swap can be expensive. So you might want to hold off on that till you get the power plant closer to your goal first.

Don't mean to rain on your parade. Just want to help you keep your expectations realistic.

I just threw that number out there i mean the 99svt cobra we drove was damn fast. I think i read it was about 265-275 somewhere round there for the rwhp. So i would think that would be more then enough power. So yeah the 300 your probably right would be enough power to the wheels. I am sure i can accomplish that by some heads,cams intake, headers, full exhaust, all the goodies. Chip and such. In terms of the Automatic i will be doing all the work myself. I am a mech at trade so i should be ok in that aspect. I just like having a 5 speed for the fun of it. But maybe it would be best just to drop the tranny and rebuild it to handle more power. Anyone know how much they can handle stock.