Crank -> Cam Timing Chain Alignment Question.

91BlckGT

Founding Member
May 24, 1999
in a van, down by the river
I'm about to pull my car back apart and verify everything, but I wanted to share this picture first and see if there is any possibility that I screwed up this basic part of the installation.

I installed the cam with the locator dowel facing 6:00, and as you can see in the picture, the crankshaft keyslot is at 12:00. The circles on the comp camps are also facing each other and directly in line (i measured with a straight-edge before I bolted it all together).

rPtVZewnXaDUpsAtPa-praiLkzA9LPK4rmG3apXez9-QfVli7HfK2HBl7kbPI-NYitNuAnS6xZdG-JqjXh=w1689-h950-no.jpg

Since I had the Number 1 piston at TDC when this was done, is there any possible way I screwed this up in such a way that the car wont' start, no matter what orientation I have the distributor?

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a picture showing where the intake and exhaust valves were on cylinder one, and as you can see the #1 piston was at TDC, nearly same as the #6 piston.
548D2s-u_3VI63BNhFOjC3gC3dD1D-sOBgTaBJDLqBTXOZr3UJOh1sAYymRCWunpGJKWPLkCy4RQV-FUXc=w1689-h950-no.jpg

Attachments

• 548D2s-u_3VI63BNhFOjC3gC3dD1D-sOBgTaBJDLqBTXOZr3UJOh1sAYymRCWunpGJKWPLkCy4RQV-FUXc=w1689-h950-no.jpg
    548D2s-u_3VI63BNhFOjC3gC3dD1D-sOBgTaBJDLqBTXOZr3UJOh1sAYymRCWunpGJKWPLkCy4RQV-FUXc=w1689-h950-no.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 132
Installation is correct for the timing set, your statement " is there any possible way I screwed this up in such a way that the car wont' start, no matter what orientation I have the distributor?" is another story. While the installation is correct you will also need to correctly install the distributor, it's not one of those drop it in wherever you feel like and it will work type parts. With the motor at TDC, you will want the rotor pointing to the back passenger side of the engine. The #1 terminal on the cap will align with the rotor and you will be close enough to start the car and set the timing.

Installation is correct for the timing set, your statement " is there any possible way I screwed this up in such a way that the car wont' start, no matter what orientation I have the distributor?" is another story. While the installation is correct you will also need to correctly install the distributor, it's not one of those drop it in wherever you feel like and it will work type parts. With the motor at TDC, you will want the rotor pointing to the back passenger side of the engine. The #1 terminal on the cap will align with the rotor and you will be close enough to start the car and set the timing.

Awesome. I can't start the car, and have tried stabbing the distributor a multitude of ways and positions. Hopefully tonight i'll get some spare time to check out the compression.