Crazy Question On P0174 Code

Discussion in '1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-' started by justadodgeman, Jun 17, 2014.

1. justadodgeman

justadodgeman Member

so as most of yall know me and my dad have been battling this code for a while and we finally thought we got it after cleaning the terminals(yeah I know not likely but weve both seen crazier. well it stayed off for like 3 weeks and today we recharged the ac(hasn't been working since we got it running and as of recently when we cleaned the terminals and replaced a leaky radiator it stopped clicking on or anything) well as soon as we started recharging it and it started clicking off an on the code came back on. so I know its a crazy question but could the ac system have anything to do with this code(lean bank 2)? I have done everything yall have suggested and even some extra stuff and it hasn't fixed it.
  2. justadodgeman

justadodgeman Member

oh and I think there is a leak to cause the ac started blowing hot air again shortly after
  3. COramprat

COramprat Drone Driver Mod Dude

Lean on bank 2 is a possible exhaust leak. Maybe the refrigerant is leaking in the area of an exhaust leak?

If the code came on during the recharge it is likely just a coincidence. It could take up to a day for the code to set once an issue is detected.
  4. justadodgeman

justadodgeman Member

the code had been off for almost a week of driving(probably around 150 miles
  5. COramprat

Yes...sometimes a week. It's not an exact science. I have a lean condition in my car as well but it doesn't come on until it idles for a long time. That is why I think you may have an exhaust leak.
  6. justadodgeman

justadodgeman Member

alright so you have an exhaust leak which causes a lean code when you idle for a long time well I was idling for a while to recharge the ac but I have checked up and down for any exhaust leaks before the front o2s and the only leak I found was in the cat and in the muffler from where it had bottomed out somewhere and I welded those places
  7. COramprat

8. 1987stangman

1987stangman Member

Here is my internet diagnosis. You have a leaky gasket on bank 2, drives side. When the A/C compressor pulls a load on the engine the leak gets worse. First thing I would do is a smoke test to rule this out, or take a chance on changing the intake gaskets. Seems like if there was a vac leak in a vac hose the whole engine would run lean, but not totally out of the question. Changing those gaskets is cheap and quick.

I would also say that a failing injector could be a possibility, but a smoke test provided you have the tools and resources would rule out any type of vacuum leak.