Custom CAI...What Looks Better PICS

I got everything back together, I just need to figure out where to put my LMAF and filter. Here's the first set-up, the meter is right inside the fender parallel to the ground....
IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

And then this way would have it the meter upside down, but completely out of sight...
IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

It would attach to the end of this pipe (pic is sideways)...
IMG_0232.jpg

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Sponsors (?)

i like the first.

1- less piping
2-easier to clock the maf if needed

are you going to use that coupler right in the middle between the 2 pipes? i would weld them together for a cleaner look

that would look great chromed

what size piping did you use?

I kinda like the first way also.

That engine bay is hot mang! I hate to go OT but where did you stuff the CCRM and what was involved (I'd like to get mine out of the way)?

i like the one with no bends between the maf and the air filter. if neither has any bends, i like the 2nd one more.

for the connector, if you aren't planning on welding it, check out the connectors i used. i know that my engine bay is extremely ghetto, but i really think these connectors are a little classier than the normal blue silicone connectors. and they have them at home depot ...

but it looks like you have a blue and polished/chrome thing going, so probably never mind
engine-kb3.jpg

Attachments

• engine-kb3.jpg
    engine-kb3.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 74
Thanks for your replies. I think I’m gonna do the first one. It’s less piping and I already have everything cut. I considered welding the two pipes together but for easy of assembly/disassembly I think I’ll use the silicone coupler; I will trim it down and make it as small as possible.

I got all of the silicone couplers from racepartsolutions.com including the 3” aluminum tubing and the t-bolt clamps.

Tonight I’m gonna drill a hole for the IAT and extend the MAF and IAT wires. Then I just need to get the tubes chromed. Anyone know how much chroming should cost? It’s about 20” of 3” inner diameter aluminum tubing.

i like my air filter in the stock location with a heat shield over it.

I agree. I've been looking for a kit that looks similar to what Steeda offers for the 4.6L, which is a stock-length intake tube with a polished aluminum heat shield over the filter, but have yet to find one. I realise this will do nothing for performance but I just want it for bling. I'm a bit leary of puting the filter in the fenderwell because I'm paranoid it'll get dirty real fast and/or suck-up water.

I agree. I've been looking for a kit that looks similar to what Steeda offers for the 4.6L, which is a stock-length intake tube with a polished aluminum heat shield over the filter, but have yet to find one. I realise this will do nothing for performance but I just want it for bling. I'm a bit leary of puting the filter in the fenderwell because I'm paranoid it'll get dirty real fast and/or suck-up water.

check out the c&l inlet pipe.

that is what i have, but it came with a black plastic heat shield and not an alum cover.

remember, try to keep it up as high in the fender as possible. I hydrolocked my car's origional engine with a cai gping through a puddle

I had that problem with the probe because of the longer intake manifold of the JDM motor... so i ended up using the stock rubber elbo and even that made that filter dangeriously low... you cant really tell in this pic but it was basically resting on the splash sheild.... i think that saved me a fewtimes.... but yea go with the first set up... the maf probally likes sitting like that better anyway.... and i think it looks good it takes up some of the space....
DSCF0910.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0910.jpg
    DSCF0910.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 73
remember, try to keep it up as high in the fender as possible. I hydrolocked my car's origional engine with a cai gping through a puddle

I had that problem with the probe because of the longer intake manifold of the JDM motor... so i ended up using the stock rubber elbo wand even that made that filter dangeriously low... i say go with the first one.... the maf probally likes sitting that way better anyway... better safe then sorry... ive seen 2 many cars going puddle jumping and getting hydro locked..... wouldnt want to see it happen again
DSCF0888.jpg

DSCF0840.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0840.jpg
    DSCF0840.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF0888.jpg
    DSCF0888.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 105