Cutting the Stock Springs ?s

ShapeShifter

Jun 5, 2006
hey guys im wanting to cut the stock springs on my car...my question is how many coils do i need to cut to achieve a 1.5in drop on the front and back...i kinda would like the front to be a little lower than the rear so if yall know the specs on how to do this lemme know..greatly appreciated,thanks to all replies in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Do it right, not rice! go with some Eibach Pro. thats pro not sport. the sports sag. and if you cut the stocks they will put the same weight on less spring and you will be low and too soft. just do it right, you will thank yourself later. and you get a brand to brag about.

ShapeShifter said:
hehe, yeah everyone just tells me to hold off and buy actual performance lowering springs (i.e.:pro-kit or H&R)..guess ill have to save my pennies a little longer,thanks!

if youre willing to wait, then yeah definitely save up for a quality set of lowering springs. Cutting too much off the stockers makes the ride very bouncy and unstable

You could just do what I did, and cut your stock ones and run them while you're saving up. :nice: Cutting springs is oldschool, not rice.
I raced (road and drag) and daily drove on mine for 2 years, no sag, no complaints, nice drop, and though it was noticeably much stiffer, it was not banging over bumps like the ricers do. I only took it down 1.5 inches, not 4+ inches like those idiots. Anyway, to answer your question, half a rung = about 1.5 inches and as you can see on my pics in my profile and garage, I still had a nice rake on it (back was slightly higher than the front) Just make sure you cut from the top of the spring and make the top rung flat like it is before you cut it, or you won't get the desired drop AND more importantly, you won't seat your spring in it's position nicely, which could cause all kinds of problems and is just downright unsafe.
I am proud to say however, that I will be receiving my H&R Supersports tomorrow and expect an improvement in handling and looks. I'll post a full report when they're in.

I put Steeda Sports on mine. Got a nice drop and the ride isn't any different with the Tokico shocks and struts. Paid 150 used for the springs and 200 new shipped on the shocks and struts. Save up and do all at once.

Everybody has their opinions, but I doubt many have actually ridden in a Mustang with cut springs. On my Mach 1 springs, the rears have been cut 1/2 coil and the front 3/4 of a coil. I did this to gain a little more drop. If I was autoXing or at the track every weekend, I'd likely go adiffernt route, but for the daily driver, this makes perfect sense. The ride is a bit stiffer than stock, but not much. Not a hint of bounce to it.
Guys, please speak from experience. I know we've all seen these imports with coils cut in half...yep, that's gonna bounce. But trimming the OEM coil, in my experience, has absolutely no negative impact.
I ended up with a little lower (about 1/4 inch) in the front than my wife's 01 with B springs all around. The rears measure the same height.

twogts4us said:
Everybody has their opinions, but I doubt many have actually ridden in a Mustang with cut springs.

Not a hint of bounce to it.

QUOTE]

Yes I have been in a stang with cut springs. And she bounced like Tigger from Whinnie the f^cking poo :rlaugh: :lol:

Point being: DO CUT THE SPRINGS. Do it right the first time :nice:

the98stang said:
twogts4us said:
Everybody has their opinions, but I doubt many have actually ridden in a Mustang with cut springs.

Not a hint of bounce to it.

QUOTE]

Yes I have been in a stang with cut springs. And she bounced like Tigger from Whinnie the f^cking poo :rlaugh: :lol:

Point being: DO CUT THE SPRINGS. Do it right the first time :nice:
As I said, "I doubt many have actually ridden in a Mustang with cut springs." Obviously, you are in the minority of those with negative cut spring opinions. (Most are offering their opinions with no actual experience with such) I have to believe either the car you rode in was a hunk of junk already or the springs were cut in half. Honestly, I dare to compare mine against anyone's lowered spring kit for overall ride. It's a bit firm, but not harsh. I've pushed it into turns faster than I would ever do with the stock ride height.

twogts4us said:
As I said, "I doubt many have actually ridden in a Mustang with cut springs." Obviously, you are in the minority of those with negative cut spring opinions. (Most are offering their opinions with no actual experience with such) I have to believe either the car you rode in was a hunk of junk already or the springs were cut in half. Honestly, I dare to compare mine against anyone's lowered spring kit for overall ride. It's a bit firm, but not harsh. I've pushed it into turns faster than I would ever do with the stock ride height.
I have ridden in both. My car and a guy who had cut a 1/4 off his Eibachs because he didn't get the drop he wanted. My car rides like a Caddilac compared to his.

I've never had a problem chopping stock springs, regardless of what some people in this thread say. I've done it with 4-different vehicles and every one of them has turned out just fine. The key is to limit the amount of heat you're using when you cut them and don't get greedy with the drop.

To each their own though.