danger of slapping an s-trim or equal s/c on?

xplo89gt

Founding Member
Jul 14, 1999
Boston, MA
My mods are in my sig. Honestly I have been craving more power lately. I know I should probably get a new tranny first, but as mine works fine now it is hard to do so. I've been thinking of getting a supercharger. I would like a 331 aftermarket block with all forged internals at some point, but i don't think it is time yet.

How long would my block and/or tranny last with an S-trim? Would I still be able to rev to 6k or would that result in causing damage? Or would I be better going with a sc-trim and upgrading at a later date?

Let me know what your experience is in adding a power adder to a stock block with HCI and stock tranny. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I would do a compression test and a leak down test to see how the rings and other vital seals are holding up. As long as you have good results with that, and a proper tune i think you would be fine for a while. You'd definately be puttin down some nice numbers too. Good luck with whatever you do.

nick

With your goals in the future with the block and forged internals, I would mess with the sc/trim. Your tranny will probably go out before your block. Lotta people around here runnin h/c/i blower making 450-550 rwhp with a stock block.

extozy said:
a Tremec T-5 won't handle that much hp will it?

It will as long as you don't beat on it too hard. I've been running 11 lbs on my stock shortblock with 100,000 miles on it for 2 years now, and it's been down the track at least 50 times. I launch at about 4500 rpm and the clutch (unknown) and stock tranny are still hanging in...for now. I lost the axles last year though. :rolleyes:

Interesting. It is basically mixed responses so far. I'm definately interested in hearing more people's stories.

Now if i got an s-trim would I be able to run it with my 30#ers with the FMU?
Or would i need to go to 36 or 42lbers?

I am currently working on a 331 with an S-Trim and even though I haven't finished tuning it or taken it to the track yet, I can say that it pulls like a mofo... :banana:

Prior to the 331 build I was running 30lb injectors and an FMU without any issue, but choose to upgrade the injectors when I moved to the new heads, cam and 331.

The following is my current setup, and I will be removing the FMU in the future:

331 Stroker /w all forged internals including SRP dished pistons
TFS TW Heads
1.6 RR
X-303
Ported Cobra Upper/Lower
Vortech S-Trim
Tremec 3550 (freshly rebuilt)
3:73s
TweecerRT

I will hopefully have some track times next week that I can share...

With as much fun as this setup is, I would definately suggest doing a 331 and then adding the blower as $ permits.

Nice setup. Mine will be similar to that, but funds are tight at the moment.

I know I should probably do the 331 first, but im not sure if there's much fun in that (good deal of work and w/ low compression pistons not sig power gains). I really am not sure what I am doing. Trying to figure it out.

Alright. At first I was thining about doing this soon so I'd have it for some of the fall, but now I've decided it would probably be better to do it over winter with the idea of also saving cash for a tko500. Thanks guys.