data logging

anybody know a good program i can use for some datalogging? my roommate has a dsm and some program on his pda he can hook up for datalogging, but his is obd1 so im gonna need something for obd2 (right?). im just gonna be using it to make sure everythings running right with the nitrous so i know im not f-ing anything up. any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

If your car is a 94-95 with a v8 it is ODBI, if the car is a 94-95 v6 it is ODBII. Both sets of ODB harness's are on ALL 94-95's regardless, if your car is a v8 the plug under the dash is dead but there, if it is a v6 the plug under the hood is the dead one.

Honestly, for the money and ability to tune our year 94-95's the tweecerR/T model (not the base tweecer) is the best for our years if you want datalogging.

check it out at tweecer.com

you will need a laptop as a pda will not work some have tried though. All that is really needed is a laptop with USB 2.0 if it has that it will have enough of everything else to work. I use an old Dell laptop that runs windows 2000. If you run Vista you may have an issue working with tweecer but I have not checked those issues so a fix/workaround may be out now.

i thought about a tweecer/pms but i really dont have that kind of money right now, and i dont know anything about in-depth tuning like those require. that being said, since both of our cars are obd1 would his program work on my car?

you would have to contact the maker to find out.

I know some people used autotap but I do not know if that is only for ODBII or not.

really what is the point of datalogging if your not going to have the ability to make changes??? Its good to know the information but if all you know is that...a. how will you know what it means in relation to your processor (something self tuning will teach you)...ie how would you even know what is good or bad? b. if you do find something wrong how would you go about fixing it? Just seems alittle useless without being able to tune it as well.

They go hand in hand IMHO datalogging and tuning for our eec.

you would have to contact the maker to find out.

I know some people used autotap but I do not know if that is only for ODBII or not.

really what is the point of datalogging if your not going to have the ability to make changes??? Its good to know the information but if all you know is that...a. how will you know what it means in relation to your processor (something self tuning will teach you)...ie how would you even know what is good or bad? b. if you do find something wrong how would you go about fixing it? Just seems alittle useless without being able to tune it as well.

They go hand in hand IMHO datalogging and tuning for our eec.

+1

However, if you want someone to be able to provide you with a tune who is not close by then you need to datalog for them to give a workable tune. If this is what you have in mind check out the Zeitronix ZT-2. It will do what you want and it will give you the ability to provide the tuner with the datalog so a chip can be burned for you application.

the main reason i want to datalog is to make sure everything is running safely with the nitrous (eg no pinging, knock, safe timing, etc). with some datalogging software, as i understand it, i would be able to make a few pulls, and if everything is ok i have the peace of mind and if not i have the option of getting it professionally tuned or buying a tuner and learning to do it myself if its not something simple like timing or fuel.

+1

However, if you want someone to be able to provide you with a tune who is not close by then you need to datalog for them to give a workable tune. If this is what you have in mind check out the Zeitronix ZT-2. It will do what you want and it will give you the ability to provide the tuner with the datalog so a chip can be burned for you application.
i googled Zeitronix ZT-2 and all the results were for a wideband, am i missing something or am i going to need a wideband to datalog?

If your wanting to log ANYTHING at all it will be the accurate o2 readings via a wideband o2 meter. Some of the wideband meters have extras that will log a few other things as well. If your wanting to tune with some n2o you will basicly only need the fuel (wideband o2), spark, and rpm.

To really get at tuning if your going to datalog you would still want to be able to make changes. Otherwise just get some dyno time that includes a wideband and play with timing and fuel press. no need to spend anymore money on datalogging software if you can not change things.

Datalogging will let you know exactly were issues are, if you know were to look, just because you can view the info does not mean you will know what it means. Since it is a detailed view...it really is meant for something that can make detailed changes and you can not do that without a tuner/tuning software.

thanks for the help blksn955.0 basically after talking to a couple fellow gearheads they are under the impression that i could be (and probably am) pinging/knocking without knowing it. neither of them have experience running nitrous (one has a big turbo dsm and the other a bolton ls1), but i do trust their knowledge. i havent touched the timing since i put on the nitrous and thought i was safe since i didnt hear anything that sounded like what ive read pinging to sound like, but then i was told that you cant hear pinging until its REALLY bad and you never hear knock. i just want to be sure everything is running safely. thanks again for your patience with a noob