Decisions, decisions

JESTER

My dog and I are pee pals.
Founding Member
Dec 11, 1998
Newnan, GA
Well, I think I have found a 99 Cobra I like.

Now if I can sell my truck fast enough (dropped the price to just about pay off).

My question is, the car currently has a solid axle in it, but the current owner said he would swap it back to IRS if I wanted to.

If you guys had a choice between IRS and Solid, which would you choose?

The car is going to be primarily a daily driver with 4:30 gears. It MAY see the drag strip once or twice and may see some mountain roads every once in a while. I had an 03 and know the IRS was better in them - I'm just worried about breaking something with the 99/01 IRS.

What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

What's more important? Straight line acceleration with NO WHEEL HOP, or carving through the twisties? Will the owner leave the straight axle in the car AND give you the original IRS that came out of the car too?

As far as breaking the 99/01 IRS... that's just something we all have to deal with! You can beef up a 99/01 IRS just like the 03/04's if need be.

If he'll give you both rears I'd say leave the straight axle in it and drive it around for a while and see how you like it. You CAN make a straight axle handle just as well as an IRS... you can also beef up an IRS to a level ALMOST as strong as a straight axle...

U.M.

Honestly, between driving my 95 with the strait axle and my 03 with the IRS. I liked the IRS better.

I am basically going to have the choice of one or the other, but not both.

I liked the smoothness of the IRS, but with the 4:30s in it, I worry about wheel hop and don't have the money to replace junk if it busts.

How much or what can be done to the IRS to strengthen it up?

I'm just really torn on the whole thing. Both have their merits.

JESTER said:
Honestly, between driving my 95 with the strait axle and my 03 with the IRS. I liked the IRS better.

I am basically going to have the choice of one or the other, but not both.

I liked the smoothness of the IRS, but with the 4:30s in it, I worry about wheel hop and don't have the money to replace junk if it busts.

How much or what can be done to the IRS to strengthen it up?

I'm just really torn on the whole thing. Both have their merits.
Don't quote me on this but... I believe the only difference between the 99/01 IRS and the 03/04 IRS are the size of the half-shafts (SVT went with beefier GKN units for the 03/04) and a larger torque brace. You can buy a genuine '03 Ford Cobra torque brace for about $80 which is a direct swap for the stock 99/01 torque brace I believe. I'm pretty sure the beefier stock 03 GKN half-shafts would bolt right in also. What kind of HP/TQ is this car putting down? If it's not much more than stock I think upgrading the 99/01 parts with 03/04 components may be all you need. :shrug:

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Don't quote me on this but... I believe the only difference between the 99/01 IRS and the 03/04 IRS are the size of the half-shafts (SVT went with beefier GKN units for the 03/04) and a larger torque brace. You can buy a genuine '03 Ford Cobra torque brace for about $80 which is a direct swap for the stock 99/01 torque brace I believe. I'm pretty sure the beefier stock 03 GKN half-shafts would bolt right in also. What kind of HP/TQ is this car putting down? If it's not much more than stock I think upgrading the 99/01 parts with 03/04 components may be all you need. :shrug:

U.M.

Na, I won't hold you to it ;)

The guy said he ran a best of 12.55 at 110 mph, so whats that...over 300 hp with that MPH I would imagine.

I thought the half shafts were the only major difference over the 99/01 IRS, but I wasn't sure.
I know my 03 would hop the wheels pretty good...but I mean, the HP/TQ difference between the two cars might help the 99 if the brace is added.