Detailed the engines

blackfang

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
Richmond, Va
What does everyone use on theirs? I detailed the motors a little bit today & would like to get them better.
The Z/28's
95523.jpg

95524.jpg

The Cobra's
95525.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

looks good man... I would also like to know whats good for underhood detailing, mine is pretty dusty.

Off topic.. but damn, that LS1 must be a pain to work on! It looks like half the motor is tucked away under the dash

I use a hand held steamer and simple green with light water from the hose to rinse with no pressure...whatever left over tire treatment spray i'm using will get applied on the plastic etc.

I will have to try CD2. I do it all by hand and frankly think there is alot more room for improvement.

Thanks on the compliment for the fish.
95618.jpg

Getting ready to order some Longtubes and o/r Y for this ******

stangGT97 said:
can someone please explain what you do to clean it though? what you cover, how much you spray, how you rinse, etc... thanks!

just spray the focker w/ simple green, as much as you think will do the job. let sit for 5-ish minutes and then spray off with the hose. I never cover anything; i just try not to spray the alternator and i take my k&n off the C&L intake and cover with a plastic bag so water doesnt get in the intake.

once its done drying after the rinse off, just finish w/ a towel and then cover the motor w/ tire foam. :shrug: quick way to make the motor look great :nice:

I honestly cover nothing. I just make sure i don't soak the alternator...i've never had problems. When you drive in the rain...your engine gets wet right?

What i do:
I spray CD2 engine cleaner on everything i want clean. I let it sit for 5 minutes or so.
Rinse it all off....
Turn the engine on for 15 minutes or so to heat it up & dry it.
Then what works best (if i'm doing it for a car show) I'll spray the detailer then drive to the show. The heat makes it more glossy :) I don't know if it matters or not, or if i'm being too cautious, but i try not to spray the detailer when the engine is hot.

Also, never clean your engine when it's hot...the water espeically if it's cold could crack something bad! :D (sorry if i'm stating a common sense thing though...some people might not know right? :shrug: )

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. I will try the CD2 and that method with Tire foam and see what it does. I wont do it today because I washed and waxed both cars. Black is a bitch, and I have 2 of them bitches :rlaugh:

DropTopPony said:
I use a hand held steamer and simple green with light water from the hose to rinse with no pressure...whatever left over tire treatment spray i'm using will get applied on the plastic etc.

im thinkin about gettin a steamer myself, can i see a pic of ur engine bay?

i used Gunk engine foam "for old dirty engines" and the first application did well so far... just finished... hosed the entire engine bay and evry nook and cranny i could find, used the entire can. did well overall, the valve covers were not quite as i like them, and there is a lilttle other gunk still attached... but for 140k miles and the first engine cleaning i was happy. hosed down everything (since nobody else protected anything) and then rinsed it off, looked nice... will be doing it saterday and sunday next weekend to hopefully get everything the way i want it. oh, and i had to idle for around 45 min to get all the water to evap off. next time i am going to wedge a piece of cardboard in the throttle cable bracket to get the RPMs to around 2k.... faster drying.

Torinalth