Diablo Predator Programmer OR SCT???

03gtmustang

May 26, 2003
Northern Va
Ive been hearing good things about the SCT latley. But I also like the diablo programmer. The only bad thing about the SCT is the price. The Diablo is about the same price as the superchip programmer, but it has a lot more options. Right now I have the superchip programmer which just isnt enough anymore. I want to have more control. For example a/f ratios and stuff like that. Can anyone with either of these chips give me more info. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

OK, I have some experience here with this one and some STRONG opinions, but I will keep an open mind in my response.

The Diablo gives the user more control in the same way (but more) that the original Super Chip Max Tuner did (not the SCT one). HOWEVER, the amount of user control that you have is not as much as you would think.

As to the claim that the Diablo can be used to control A/F, this is a leap. The Diablo does not read or data log A/F data!!! Neither does the SCT. Anybody claiming that the diablo can do this is NOT telling the whole story. With any custom chip/programmer if you have A/F data you can have the device reprogrammed accordingly. What some of the SCT guys do is use a LM1 Datalogger to retieve A/F info and email to SCT, then they email back a different tune. This can also be performed over the mail OR on a dyno. In theory, the Diablo can do the same thing.

On the surface, the Diablo is a better, more capable device. Reality, though, is different. The secret to any chip/programmer is customer support. And quite frankly, this is where SCT has the advantage over Diablo.

First, Diablo does not have the experience or the data base that SCT has. This is why you may be hearing comments from Diablo Pred. users that their cars knock with the tune on it. This is rare with SCT. I waited 2 months for a re-burn from Diablo and eventually gave up and asked for my money back.

SCT also has a Racers Package available which truly gives you complete control of the tune in the same way a tuner has and all from your laptop at the track.

Second, SCT offers much better support in general. With my SCT retailer, they are just a phone call away, an email away, or a thread away. I always get my questions answered prompty ( I used Modular Depot).

I vote for SCT!!!

One other thing to consider. If you plan on lots of mods in the future and have a good tuner available to you locally, consider using him and whatever chip/programmer he uses. It is not so much the device that matters, but how it is programmed.

Quite honestly, I think the Diablo Pred. appeals to the younger, "ricer market". This being the case, I think they hit their mark.

SCT all the way man.

The only one to actually control the 4 memory banks in your car completly. From the dinger in your door right down to your gear set/speedo calibration.

I netted a gain of 8.5WHP and 12WTQ on a mustang dyno by adjusting the timing and knocking out the knock sensors Obviously have to run 94 octane with it on that tune ... but what the hell.

The Flasher unit allows you to carry 3 extra programs and your stock. So if you want to run 94 octane on weekends and 87 for trips... no probs.

I've heard of to many 'e-mail tuning' stories to recommend anything else.

I have a Diablo Predator

Hey;

I have the Diablo Predator, and so far I like it. The end user options are better than the max tuner, and even the extreme tuner. They have a much wider adjustment area, but you can only do so much with those adjustments.

I must agree what ever you get, make sure you go through a good dealer. That means one who is an actual tuner, IE has the tuning software, not just down loads, and burns the program. The dealer I purchased my Predator from has the revolution software so they are able to do real custom tunes, not just down load one that is close. They also include free lifetime tunes with the purchase. I was able to get two custom tunes, in as many weeks. They were able to fix my tip-in-ping. This seems to be a bigger issue with Diablo products than the Super Chip Tuners. The Predator can currently only hold one custom tune, but soon will be upgraded to hold four. The predator can be flash upgraded.

The two products are very similar. The Predator has better, diagnostics, can be flash upgraded. Also the end user options are a little better. What it really comes down to is this, are you willing to wait until the network of tuners who have the revolution software grow, and are able to service all the Diablo customers, or have the above mentioned better features. In the end customer service was the deciding factor in where my predator was purchased. You will at some point want a custom tune, and the end user options will not cut it. That is in most cases.

P.S.- I have not seen very much in the way of feed back on the Predator.

BTW- no dyno information, but SOTP says it is more responsive, and a little faster.

Check this website-http://www.modularfords.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Scott :flag:

dhrusk1 said:
can the sct turn off your rear 02 sensors and traction control??

Yes.

03gtmustang said:
Ive been hearing good things about the SCT latley. But I also like the diablo programmer. The only bad thing about the SCT is the price. The Diablo is about the same price as the superchip programmer, but it has a lot more options. Right now I have the superchip programmer which just isnt enough anymore. I want to have more control. For example a/f ratios and stuff like that. Can anyone with either of these chips give me more info. Thanks

I have experience with both and quite frankly, there is no comparison. Briefly put, Diablo has a lot more tuning issues than SCT does, especially with the 05 mustang. No matter what Diablo says, any car that pings or knocks, the A/F is not safe and damage is being done. Knocking and pinging are some of the common issues with a Diablo tuned car having issues. I recommend SCT from a reputable tuner, Modular Depot is good, there is a couple of others as well.

I use a custom tune through a Predator, and both it and the customer service I have received from the Diablo CMR dealer I dealt with couldn't be any better. Turnaround time by e-mail has always been less than 24 hours. A tune is only as good as the one who develops it, and SCT tuning software is not any "better" or "worse" than CMR tuning software. The Pro Racer Package offered by SCT is the one clear advantage offered by going with an XCal 2 tuner, however you must be prepared to invest time and money required to make full use of it. The average daily driver like mine does not need that capability so I am satisfied with the next best thing.

Personally you need to find the best tuner closest to you and find what software they use. That way if you ever want a professional tune they can just add it to your hadware.

If I lived any where near GA I'd have a SCT setup, but I dont and theres an awesome tuner here that can do the same things Tim at MPH can, but with the Diablo series.. thus I have a Predator.

It's not fair to compare the DiablSport Predator to the SCT Pro Racer Package. One is a handheld tuner, the other is a full blown tuning package. $350 vs. $800. I find it funny that SCT fans love comparing DiabloSports' end user tool with SCT high end package. If you want to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, do the following comparisons:

1. DiabloSport Predator vs. SCT Xcalibrator 2. Handheld tuning gizmos meant for the beginner to intermediate user with a stock to mildly modified vehicle. Both below $400. Both let you tweak for gears, turn off rear O2 sensors tests, adjust timing and a/f ratio, change shift points, rev limiters, etc. Both can datalog certain parameters. Both can read/clear OBD-II codes. Both come with base tunes that will give you 10-15 rwhp. Both can load professionally made tunes. (Note that the Xcalibrator2 is new to the market and has been advertised with these features but it is not capable of doing all of it yet. Dealers promise to send updates to users.)

2. DiabloSport Chipmaster Revolution vs. SCT Pro Racer Package. Professional level tuning packages. Lets you do 1000 things more than the handheld units. Not for the casual user.

Figure out what you're comparing first, then look at feature by feature and cost.

If SCT is so great, why don't they sell it thru the Partshopper? All they sell are the Predators: :shrug:

BTW...I just ordered one...crap. My speedcal is acting up, and the TC really gets on my nerves. Plus, I'd like to get the few extra ponies even if I gotta run premium gas.

I guess I'll see how I do with the canned tune, and take it to the speed shop if needed.

It's like every other mod, generally people are going to say what they have is the best. If I were buying a flash tuner today, I would look for a used Predator at a fire sale price. I have seen more than one up for sale for under $250 by those who think the XCal 2 must be better because it is the newest, and because SCT has made a well deserved reputaion for itself in the chip market and with the Pro Racer Package. It does have more potential capabilities, but for a daily driver like myself I would never sell a Predator in hand to buy an XCal 2, especially if looking for a custom tune.