Did the machine shop screw me?

I took my 302 in to be bored and balanced. They told me I needed new pistons and bearings but everything else was fine, except the bore. So they bored it .060, balanced it, I bought the new pistons, rings cam and gear drive. They put everything together, balanced it used ARP bolts on the rods and mains, and provided the bearings and freeze plugs. They called me today to say it was done and that I now owe them $1138.21. Did I just get screwed or does that sound like a fair price for everything I got? Did anyone get similar work done to theirs, and if so how did the price compare? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I provided them the block, main caps, flex plate, timing cover, all bolts for timing cover, brand new KB281 pistons, hastings rings, comp cams 305S cam, and pete jackson gear drive, and the origonal crank and rods.

He provided partswise, all bearings, arp rod and main bolts, freeze plugs, and timing cover gasket.

A grand is a little high but not completely out of line for punching AND assembling a short block. The Balancing probably cost around $150.00 on it's own.

My block and assembly work was in the same neighborhood, but then again I wouldn't let them punch mine to .060 and made them hone to .040.

Strokedd66 said:
A grand is a little high but not completely out of line for punching AND assembling a short block. The Balancing probably cost around $150.00 on it's own.

My block and assembly work was in the same neighborhood, but then again I wouldn't let them punch mine to .060 and made them hone to .040.
When they put in the ARP bolts they where supposed to line bore the main caps and the rods. That alone is about $200-250

I just had my block bored, tanked, magnafluxed, and new cam bearings, freeze plugs, pistons installed on rods, and crank turned for $353.

so adding line bore, balancing and assembly it doesnt sound all that high.

sounds about right to me. what type of warranty is he putting on it? I had a 289 done about 2 years ago and they put a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on it also. However, he also put heads on it.