Did your handling suffer from 20 inch rims?

Joker 5.0

Founding Member
Apr 16, 2002
Damascus, MD
I figured I was pretty much dead set on 20's (cause I thought 18's looked too small) until I spoke with a few guys that had them. A few people told me that although they looked great, handling/traction suffered a lot, as well as a good bit of additional weight to the vehicle. Just wanted some opinions from people that actually run 20's what they thought of them. Would be even better to hear from someone that had 20's and switched to 18's. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

The trick is to get a rim with the same offset and backspacing and weight as the factory wheels. Once all dynamics are the same then handling should almost stock, it will differe a little bit to do weigh distribution. Yes traction can suffer from lower profile tires

Well, the OEM 17 x 8 wheel is 21 lbs. and I think the tire is somewhere around 27 lbs. Let me know if you find 20's anywhere near that weight. For instance, I like the Steeda Spyder wheels in 20 x 9.5 chrome, but they are 30 lbs. each.

my aftermarket wheels weight about twice as much as teh stock wheels and I personally noticed no difference in handling...then again I don't push my car that hard in turns, yet enough to know it didn't make a difference with my personal driving style.

Well, I've had my 20's for three years now - let me give you some thoughts:

I did my 20's at the same time that I did the FRPP handling pack.

The ride became more harsh...but I expected this. The trade off is a car that hugs the ground and has no dive (meaning that it does not lean) when pushing it into a corner...and with the FRPP handling pack and 20's you CAN push it in the corners.

Yes, the wheels are heavier...this will slow your 1/4 time and will cause your brakes to wear more quickly.

Traction - I put BFGoodrich KDW 2 tires (summer performance) - so traction is much improved over stock (due to the width of the tire and compound of the tire).

Above everything else listed above (and something that was a factor in my decision) is that they look awesome...!

Hope this helps.