diff swap

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by David Pepiton, Jan 26, 2012.

swap out 8.8 for 9" or rebuild?

Poll closed Feb 5, 2012.
  1. swap the 8.8 for a 9"

0 vote(s)
  2. rebuild the 8.8

2 vote(s)
  1. well after noticing my diff is shot I happened to get a complete ford 9" for... free. now my question is do I swap or rebuild?

what you need to know:

I would have to rebuild both either way since the 9" has been sitting in a field for some time also I would swap it to disc brakes.

my HP goals for my car is only 400whp and I would like it to be more of a road car then a drag car.
  2. 8.8" will take 400rwhp no problem...be far less expensive to mod and rebuild than fix up and upgrade a 9"...although 9" gets cool points, it also saps a little more power from your drivetrain.

The only things you need to hook up an 8.8" is a new center (cheap), 31 spline axles, weld the tubes, put on a girdle and you'd be gtg for the power level you want.

3. Control Arm mounts need to be welded on to properly mount a 9" in a fox, it is not a straight forward swap, you need new control arms, new brakes...

Cheaper and much easier to build a 8.8 or have one built. I do a pretty much bullet proof 8.8, it features 9" bearing ends, 31 spline Moser Axles (4 or 5 lug), 31 spline Eaton Diff, all new bearings, welded tubes and brackets, and support braces, girdle, gear of your choice $1750.00 (housing not included in that price)

You can rebuild the stock diff cheap as well if your not ready to upgrade. I have a customer that may be selling his 28 spline Moser set-up, everything is brand new if your intrested.
  4. What he said :D